question

kirk4life avatar image
kirk4life asked

Battery balancer needed?

Just purchased BMV712 Smart - 3 12v batteries in parallel - is a balancer needed? - or could I just rely on a mid-point reading?

Battery Balancer
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
forester15 avatar image
forester15 answered ·

I have 2 12V batteries connected in parallel and they ALWAYS measure exactly the same with a voltmeter on their terminals, and I mean always and to the decimal point. So I do believe they keep each other equalized. Therefore I am just pulling my readings off one battery and not using the mid-point. The mid-point setup they show in the manual shows two batteries connected in series. But while I'm quite familiar with auto and RV electrical, I'm just new at using my SmartShunt, certainly not an expert on this.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

The balancer is not needed or suitable here.

It's used when you have twelve volt batteries wired in series to give higher voltages. E.g. if you have a 24V system with two 12V batteries. You get the situation that one battery may be at (say) 13.1V, the other at 12.9V (yes it does happen, even wired correctly). Balancer equalises both back to the same voltage, but only when total voltage is high enough.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic