question

avongil avatar image
avongil asked

Simple 12v only - Shore power charging of LiFePo4 and Lead Acid Starter Battery

I have a simple question that I cannot really find the answer to and im sure it is super common. I have an 80 amp hour LiFePo4 battery in a weekend camper van. It only has 12v outlets and do not need any 110v other than maybe a simple line inside from shore power.

I want to charge both batteries from the alternator and shore power. My proposed setup is:

isolated Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-Volt 18 amp with signal wire hooked up to a fuse that is only hot when the engine is on.

Victron Energy Blue Smart IP67 12/25 connected to the main battery for shore power.

110v relay to connect IP67 output to the signal wire on the Orion so it is active when on shore power.

Does this sound right or am I overlooking something silly?

I fi

orion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Depends what you mean by main battery.

Charge flow should be into starter battery from both shore power and alternator. Then from starter battery via the Orion to the house battery.

You don't need to worry about switching the Orion. It's automatic based on input voltage and works well. So a fused feed from starter battery to the Orion is all you need. I suggest you also fuse the Orion to house battery positive close to the house battery.

Just make sure you configure it with the app using Bluetooth connection. The manual is downloadable has all the configuration info there.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

avongil avatar image
avongil answered ·

Ok, that is what my plan was but was just wondering about any parasitic loads if the signal wire was jumpered. What do you think about the charger I selected? Would this be a logical setup?

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
The manual gives the standby load as less than 1mA for the Orion.

Charger is good. If you have other parasitic loads, will easily cope.

0 Likes 0 ·