question

ncj avatar image
ncj asked

Victron Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-30 DC to DC in Toyota Sienna Hybrid

I would like to add a Victron Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-30 DC to DC charger to my 2022 Toyota Sienna Hybrid to charge a 206ah Lithium iron phosphate battery. house battery.

The Toyota factory DC-DC charger sends current to the 12v battery that is used to power on the traction battery. The Victron would be connected to the 12v battery. Searching the internet, I have not been able to find the Toyota DC-DC converters maximum available current that is sent to the 12v battery but have taken current readings on two occasions by setting a clamp on meter to record max readings of 34.4 and 41.9 amps at the 12v battery positive cable.

Not knowing the maximum output of the Toyota DC-DC converter, I am worried that there may not be ample current to keep the vehicle 12v battery charged, and or, damage could occur to the electrical system and that the Victron charger may not work, or not work well enough to charge the house battery.

I hope someone can help me with this concern.

orion-tr smart
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Did you try the technical guys at Toyota?
0 Likes 0 ·
ncj avatar image ncj commented ·

Yes, I spoke with 3 Toyota dealer service departments, and none were able to provide an answer.

Edit.

Perhaps the dealers were just not willing to take the time to look up the specifications and my local dealer was not willing to let me talk to one of their technicians.

I then submitted a question to Toyota online, their response was to send me an email with a phone number to call to assure they understood my question. I called the number and spoke with a representative and was then put on hold. When they came back on the line, recommended I contact a dealer as their technicians are trained and would be able to answer my question. Went full circle.......

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ ncj commented ·
Ouch. Hope you get some advice.
0 Likes 0 ·
tommylee78 avatar image tommylee78 ncj commented ·
Hi. Did your resolve your case with DC-DC in your new hybrid car?

I’m going to buy rav4 hybrid and also add Orion Tr. But I don’t know is it possible. Thank you for your reply.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

150A. From the New Features manual:

1647437362820.png

If the DC-DC converter can reach ~14.0-14.1V absorption and maintain 13.5V float, you're not overloading the converter.

1647437362820.png (14.5 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ncj avatar image ncj commented ·
You are the man!

Thank You!

0 Likes 0 ·