question

jtynan avatar image
jtynan asked

Wifi gateway IP address is wiped easySolarII GX

Hi all,

I have a EasySolar-II GX ( firmware 2.84 )

I have defined a static IP and Gateway on the wifi interface and a static IP address on the Ethernet interface. For some odd reason the wifi Gateway IP address gets wiped ( four times yesterday and twice today).

Is there some reason for this ? or are there logged files I can debug somewhere on the device?

Regards,

Joe.

wifi
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
I don’t recall the GX supporting both wifi and Ethernet, was one or the other. Have you tested with one in use?
0 Likes 0 ·
7 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

You'd usually control this centrally on whatever has the SIM card for WiFi access, or on the router in a static connection. We need more details about how the GX gets it's internet access.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jtynan avatar image
jtynan answered ·

this entry returns to all dashs 1646556217677.png

1646556217677.png (23.2 KiB)
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

We can't help if you don't answer questions.

2 |3000

jtynan avatar image
jtynan answered ·

The GX is connected to the internet via :

1. the wifi interface to an Access Point

2. From the AP is ethernet to a router hosted in my house (192.168.8.1 )

3. From the router ( over ethernet, NAT) 4G modem to my SP.

All interfaces are manually defined.

1 comment
2 |3000

markus avatar image markus ♦♦ commented ·

Hi,

Are you using a WiFi repeater (or range extender)?

BR

0 Likes 0 ·
jtynan avatar image
jtynan answered ·

Hello all,

No, there is no wifi extender. And it has a wifi sign strength of 40%

So it has just happened again. Gateway has reset itself... ( in blue below )

1646567211587.png

Regards,

Joe.

1646567211587.png (29.6 KiB)
9 comments
2 |3000

That is very poor signal. In wifi terms the connection will not be stable. Can you test to a phone hotspot or use a wired connection to eliminate this variable?

You can also revert it to a dhcp address, if needed, set a reservation on your router.

0 Likes 0 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
I know this problem unfortunately. It happens on my CerboGX WiFi interface too, from time to time.

I have a direct ethernet connection to my Fronius via direct LAN cable, the CerboGX connects to the Internet via WiFi. No gateway entered on eth. interface (of course).

It doesn't matter if WiFi interface is set to manual or DHCP, it is also no (obvious) matter of signal strength,(AP to Cerbo <4m) which is good in my case. Sometimes it works for weeks without any issue, then it happens several times a day. When it happens, I can connect to remote console from inside my LAN and re-enter the gateway manually (often I have to manually enter the gateway 2 or 3 times until it sticks again) or switch from manual addressing to DHCP and then back to manual. It happens as well, if the addressing mode is set to DHCP instead of manual.

The issue is very hard to reproduce for me and therefore hard to report. In my case the botch solution is, to automatically restart the GX when there is no contact to VRM.

I doubt it is an issue of my WiFI network, since I changed router (DHCP server) and WiFi AP to another brand in the meantime and it has not really changed the behavior.

It is not very common, that both network interfaces on a GX (LAN and WiFi) are in use at the same time. Most people use only one interface. Maybe the issue is rooted there somehow.

0 Likes 0 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ markus ♦♦ commented ·
...but yes, 40% signal as OP stated, are too low to work properly.
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ markus ♦♦ commented ·
I do think using both is an issue. It may be that wifi times out and it fails over to the wired connection.
0 Likes 0 ·
It shouldn't be an issue though. Having 2 LAN interfaces, where only one connects to the internet and the other one connects to a local LAN only, should be OK.

My Fronius Symo is configured exactly the same way (LAN connects to Cerbo only, WiFi connects to the internet) and is working flawlessly with that configuration and is located right next to the Cerbo.

0 Likes 0 ·

Why are you segregating IP traffic? Internet access should be accessible via the local lan, with all local devices accessible.

Router connects to switch which connects to AP's/wired network.

Having two disparate networks for home use is overly complicated. Traffic can be segmented for security either via the AP or router, but there really is no need for 2 physical networks.

0 Likes 0 ·

Well, I disagree.

There are plenty of use cases for that. Eg.: Connection to functional critical devices (Energy Meter, PV inverter ...)

It is common sense in IT networks, to segregate important nets.

A router (Edit: or switch), capable of creating VLANs cost more money, than a direct LAN cable for this particular case.

So the "I can't think of any reason for this, so it shouldn't be done this way" is not helpful

0 Likes 0 ·

You would actually vlan on the switch, even basic ones are capable of doing this now, if a secondary network is critical, then spending a few extra $ may be required. Though, if you wanted to be cheap, you could run multiple IP ranges over the same vlan, not ideal but it does work fine, the extra collisions won't impact a home network.

The logic that it works on product X therefore it should on product Y doesn't make much sense.

There is a lot of software above the networking modules in the OS which will determine if it will work reliably or not, not to mention different distributions, revisions, configuration etc.

While the manual refers to connecting one or the other for access, Victron have a specific use case in mind for connecting both, which may be contributing.

C/O the manual:

screenshot-2022-03-07-at-145453.png

0 Likes 0 ·

I disagree with a lot of what you write in this context, but I don't want to discuss that further now, because it will not bring a solution.

There is nowhere written in the manual, that you cannot use both LAN interfaces, when only one interface connects to the internet. This is absolute basic functionality on a device with 2 network interfaces. IMO. And it does work 99.9% of the time.

If it is not supposed to work, it should be clearly stated in the manual, which is not!

0 Likes 0 ·
jtynan avatar image
jtynan answered ·

Hi Markus,

The reason I configured both interfaces is one for local access and as these devices are hosted in the plant room. I know 40% is a bit low but I have tested run pings on the local wifi and none are lost. ( unless the GX reboots ). Thanks for letting me know you see the same issue if you statically define a dhcp entry, and to be honest, I think this might be a workaround the Victron has put in place..

I have one or two questions to help me debug:

1. Are you running ESS and do you have a negative setpoint set on?

2. Are you running a parallel multiplus II configuration?

3. The GX reboots a number times a day? ( mine could reboot 0 to 20 times daily)

And as you said there is nothing I can configure to reproduce ( very random and very frustrating ).

6 comments
2 |3000

markus avatar image markus ♦♦ commented ·

Hi,

1. Are you running ESS and do you have a negative setpoint set on?

Yes, I am running ESS with a grid setpoint set to +50W

2. Are you running a parallel multiplus II configuration?

Nope, 3 phase single unit per phase.

3. The GX reboots a number times a day? ( mine could reboot 0 to 20 times daily)

Does your GX reboot, even when the "reboot when no contact to VRM" option is turned off?

In my case, it does not happen very often. Sometimes it is running good for weeks, sometimes it happens maybe twice a day.

0 Likes 0 ·
jtynan avatar image jtynan markus ♦♦ commented ·
Thank you and very Interesting, the deployment I have could be working for days before it deletes the Gateway IP address. And I think on one occasion the gateway IP got reinstated. ( can't be sure ). I'll keep digging.

Regards,

Joe.

0 Likes 0 ·
Is reboot on disconnect set? If wifi times out (likely with that signal), then it will restart the GX after the set time. I would suggest you disconnect the wired interface and only use wifi (or vice versa) to test, as stated above. Both connected is likely to be an issue.
0 Likes 0 ·
jtynan avatar image jtynan nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

no , this is not set. I give removing wired interfaces a try......1646657290322.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1646657290322.png (24.5 KiB)
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ jtynan commented ·
Look if there is a correlation between reboots and DC Voltage, maybe you have another issue here.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ jtynan commented ·
You could have a faulty GX in the easysolar.

The quote above about failover applies to the Cerbo. The built-in GX does not mention this and it definitely refers to either wifi or wired in the manual.

That said, the code is pretty much the same, so may well behave in a similar manner.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Venus OS is Linux underneath. Linux handles most lan things automatically very well. But when there are multiple Ethernet interfaces for different networks, problems can come up. Usually you'd configure at os level. Here we have custom software, which also looks as if its updating the configuration based on startup and trying to correct errors when they occur. There's a clue from the manual quote about determining which has the internet connection.

Guessing that intermittently the weak wireless connection kills the internet, Venus recognizes it, tries to recover and also kills the manual parameters when it switches to auto mode.

This really needs to go to the developers.

Configuring both interfaces manually at OS level may work, but may also end up getting killed by the automated routines.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic