question

Martin Birrell avatar image
Martin Birrell asked

Victron Battery Balancer thoughts

Recently I made the change from lead acid cells to LifePo4. I rushed in and as a result made some mistakes from lack of research. I bought 8 12v LifePo4 batteries with the ideal of putting 4 in series with 2 parallel strings. This arrangement gave me 350 amps @ 48 volts, which is a little more than half the capacity than I had before. After reading about how critical that the cells were in need of having a balanced charge, I decided that since all the BMS's could not communicate with each other I would need to balance the voltage between batteries. Enter Victron's Battery Balancer. These are a real life saver and get the job done. The Balancers come with an alarm relay which close when the voltage difference between 12v batteries get to a critical level. Victron leaves the option of what to do with the relay contacts up to the customer. After giving a bit of thought, I decided to connect my 3 balancers up to the 3 individual channels of the digital inputs of my Venus GX. I also connected the remote switch of my BlueSolar MPPT 150/85's up to the Venus GX alarm relay contacts (NC). While this works, I found that the Balancers were going into alarm very often. I decided to install the Venus OS Large firmware, and have a play with Node Red to see if I could smooth out the alarm cycling. I was able to do this to some extent, but still it is not the perfect solution by any measure. Last night I had the thought that if Victron could get the Balancer to interact with the charge cycle, it would be able to limit the charge voltage to a level that would keep the voltage difference between batteries to an acceptable level. This might make the batteries take longer to charge but it would give them a smother charge cycle. What do you think?

Battery Balancer
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

Victron's battery balancer is designed for lead acid and not lithium. I am not surprised that you are having issues.

Cell balancing would be between the 4 cells that make the 12v battery and not between batteries.

Who's Lithium batteries have you used? You should find that the cells within each of the 8 batteries stay balanced and working as a single battery without problem. While I do not have a 48v system, I do have a 24v made up of 4 x 12v in a 2S, 2P configuration. I have never had any issues with cell balancing or the cells in each of the batteries staying balanced.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Martin Birrell avatar image Martin Birrell commented ·

Hi Bathnm, I have ATLAS 175AH 12V lithium batteries (Aussie Batteries). I have set my Charge controllers to deliver 9 amps each but don't like this strategy as it stops them responding to sudden consumer loads. That said it does reduce the voltage deviation between batteries and that is what I am after. With 4 12v batteries in series, there is a potential that one of those batteries could go above 15v (but I would hope that the internal BMS would prevent that). If a battery did go above 15v and the BMS shutdown, The whole string would be down and leave me with just 1 string to handle the load... or worse still, cause a total shutdown of the system. It was a mistake of mine to buy Lifpo4 batteries and not cells with 1 BMS. I have them now and they cost me quite a bit so I will endure and try to figure out an elegant way to manage the problem. How do you monitor each of your batteries voltage?

0 Likes 0 ·
Just wondering where you got the impression that the Victron battery balancer is only for lead acid from? If you could give me a link stating this from an official source that would be great!
0 Likes 0 ·
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

With lithium it's not the charge voltage that needs limiting during the 80 - 100% charge range, but the CURRENT. This allows the cell balancing to catch up. Typical balancing current is <1A, so charge current needs to be limited to load current+1A or so. BMS systems NEED to be able to measure all cells in a multi part battery and to be able to dynamically limit charge and discharge current.

1 comment
2 |3000

Yes Mike you are 100% correct on that...

0 Likes 0 ·
bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·
1 comment
2 |3000

Thanks for the heads up and yes it does have the same question but suggests a different solution from what @Mike Dorsett states. Another thought is to try monitor the voltage of each battery and if it gets close to 15v and a BMS shutdown then send a signal to turn off the charge controller. The way I would implement this is with an Arduino Mega as the battery voltage monitor. Other than that let the charge controllers do what they are designed to do. Just spitballing in hope of more comments...

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic