question

jaro2k avatar image
jaro2k asked

ESS - Battery Charging start based on external signal

Hi there,

I have Multiplus II 5k/48 inverter + venus GX configured as ESS with external BMS to manage 3rd party Lion batteries.

I would like to invoke battery charging process when there is a cheep electricity available from the grid (8 hours each day).. the availability of cheep energy is triggered via signal coming from the grid metering device.

I looked into ESS settings and I found "Scheduled Charging" as the only option to invoke battery charging from the grid.

Can someone direct me which option I could explore to implement this feature using external signal?

Thank you so much for help.

battery chargingESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@jaro2k

Yes https://www.victronenergy.com/live/assistants:overview_of_available_assistants#charge_current_control

Just check the voltage that the meter will send to the aux switch make sure it is in specification range. And you can play with the assistant to see the settings range and other options in VE Config before saving to the inverter.

I have not used a Multi 2 but the principle works with other inverters.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jaro2k avatar image
jaro2k answered ·

Thank you Alexandra for your valuable input.

Following your advice..

1) I have configured and upload "Charge current control" assistant configuration into the system.

2) I wired AUX 1 pins to be able to control the external signal, see photo.

I believe the AUX 1 input is an analog with max 12V DC so I have used small 9V battery to test the behaviour.

Unfortunately, I could not see any change when I connect battery to these 2 pins (+ , -).

Does anybody has any idea what I could do wrong?

Thank you.

assist-charge-control-01.png

assist-charge-control-02.png

assist-charge-control-03.png

img-1728.png

2 |3000