question

flashlight avatar image
flashlight asked

Discharge stops at 5 degrees not -20, help please

Hello! I have a couple of LiFePO4 batteries and a MPPT 100 | 20 charge controller. As expected charge stops when the batteries cool below 5 degrees C. However, discharge also stops at 5 degrees, not at -20 as I understand they are meant to. I can’t find anything in the forum or online about this, nor can I find any settings related to discharge. Anyone have any insight or tips to help?

temperature
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

The BMS will be responsible for preventing charge/discharge based on temperature among other factors. The charging sources like your MPPT solar charge controller will have nothing to do with preventing charge or discharge from the battery.

Besides temperature, the BMS will typically prevent discharge if the state of charge (or voltage) is too low.

What type of battery and what BMS?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

flashlight avatar image
flashlight answered ·

Hi @Kevin Windrem, thanks for replying! The BMS VE.Bus BMS. Batteries are the LiFePO4. Batteries are charged to 100%, and voltage is 13.6.

If I warm the batteries up with an external heat source, the system turns on when the batteries hit 6 degrees.

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Are these Victron batteries?
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic