question

ofernander avatar image
ofernander asked

Orion-Tr Smart 24-12 fast blinking LED locked up cannot access via bluetooth no output voltage

Looking for some input from Victron personal or anyone else that has had this problem.

My 24/12 Orion-Tr smart dc-dc charger has locked up. Both the blue and green LED both flash extremely fast. Faster than the flashing cycles described in the manual. The charger does not output any voltage and is inaccessible via Bluetooth. It's as if the charger is locked up for some reason.

This is actually the 3rd unit to do this to me, the first two I simply returned with the vendors but this time I would like to understand what's happening as I cannot really "trust" these units any longer if they are just going to keep failing.

I've gone over my wiring many times and I believe I've installed the charger per the manual so I'm unsure what could be causing these to fail like this.

Attached is a link to a video of the charger being powered on and the LED lights blinking at the nonstop high rate.

Thanks for any insight anyone has.

https://cloud.fernander.net/index.php/s/aw4qZ9GBNbxJcG6

orion-tr smart
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
You dont have the orion hooked up to a power supply, or an ac source (wind turbine?) by any chance?
0 Likes 0 ·
ofernander avatar image ofernander klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

No I don't. The Orion gets it's input DC voltage from my boat's alternator then outputs to my 24v house battery bank. I also have a 12/12 Orion that gets input from the same source and outputs to a backup 12v starter battery.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ ofernander commented ·
I'm a bit confused. It's a 24/12. But you say it's outputting to a 24V battery. Then you say the 12/12 gets input from the same source.

Is the house bank 12V?

You seem to have a 24V alternator/starter setup, correct?

What is the alternator output?

Which 24/12?

What house batteries?

0 Likes 0 ·
ofernander avatar image ofernander kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Ahhh yes I'm sorry that was a type it's a 12 -> 24 Orion my house bank is in fact a 24v bank. All the other symptoms are as described.
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
ofernander avatar image
ofernander answered ·

Little bit of development. I’m able to access the charger via Bluetooth again but now it’s continuously giving me the message that the remote is not present. Which isn’t true I did have it setup to turn on with the ignition but also tried the default method of bridging the L and H pins on the remote connection.

Can someone from Victron let me know if the remote connection on these is fused internally? Could mine have tripped some how?

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Daniel Webster avatar image Daniel Webster commented ·
Did you have any luck with this problem?

I have the same issue but am still not able to connect via Bluetooth at all.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ Daniel Webster commented ·
What messages do you get when you try. What device are you trying to connect with?
0 Likes 0 ·
Daniel Webster avatar image Daniel Webster kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
No devices found.

I have a orion tr smart 12/12-30 non isolated dcdc charger.

My device is acting the same as described by the OP.

Both blue and green lights are flashing very fast though green light is very dim. The problem started when I connected the ignition 12v to the remote 'H' input (though it worked a few times with the ignition before locking up). No output with the car on or off and no difference with the remote jumper replaced.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ Daniel Webster commented ·

Did you disconnect L?

Will it work in the original configuration?

0 Likes 0 ·