question

bobbo1953 avatar image
bobbo1953 asked

Wiring Zamp solar panels through a Victron MPPT controller to Victron Li batteries

Our RV trailer has 2, 170A Zamp solar panels on the roof run through a Zamp PWM controller to 2, 100AH Victron lithium batteries. I want to switch the controller to an MPPT Victron. Zamp reverses the polarity on their stuff. Does that mean I simply switch the negative and positive wires from the ZAMP panels to the Victron controller? I don't want expensive stuff to be damaged!

MPPT SmartSolarvictron community
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Us a Multi meter to find the correct polarity - Then connect the Positive of the panels output to the new MPPTs PV + Terminal and the Panels Negative to the MPPTS PV - terminal

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

You need to check a few things.

Polarity, use a volt meter on the panel output to identify +/- leads.

Check Voc and temp compensation factors, Calc Voc at lowest temp you will experience.

Ensure Voc doesn't exceed input limit.

2 |3000

bobbo1953 avatar image
bobbo1953 answered ·

I have since learned that though the ZAMP panels' plugs have reverse polarity through their SAE plugs, the wire colors and polarity on the exit from the ZAMP collector are true and I simply need to plug them into the correlating Victron MPPT terminals. I will still verify with a meter. Thanks to you for confirmation!

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MPPT product page

VictronConnect manual

PWM or MPPT

MPPT calculator

MPPT codes