question

johnbflat avatar image
johnbflat asked

MEGA Fuse arcing dangers Lynx Distributor & Li Battery Bank

Installing a 4-Battleborn 100ah battery bank in my RV. Using two Lynx distributors. Using the first Lynx to connect the batteries using equal lengths 2/O wire. The second Lynx will connect the loads and chargers.

Planned to use a 225amp Mega fuses for each battery at the Lynx. Each battery is rated at 100amp, with a potential 200amp surge for 30seconds. Several folks warned me that in a short event that Li batteries can defeat a Mega fuse interupt by arcing.

Is this a valid consideration, and if so, how would one incorporate a 400amp T Class main battery bank fuse using two Lynx distributors?

Seems one could forgo connecting the two Lynx distributors directly, creating a gap between them. Then using added bussbars between the two distributors to place a T Class fuse block on the positive bar.

fuses
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Ed Jones avatar image
Ed Jones answered ·

You have it right, though make sure to size the Class-T properly. In my case, a 300 amp Class-T fuse is sufficient for my Multi.

Alternatively, you can put MRBF fuses on each battery positive terminal and feed them into a Lynx Power In. This is what I chose to do. This has the benefit of fusing directly at the battery and protecting the cables from the batteries to the bus bars (Lynx). MRBF fuses also have very high current interrupting ratings and don't have the failure issue you described with the MEGA fuses.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic