question

wommywoo avatar image
wommywoo asked

Orion smart charger - absorption

I have a Orion smart DC-DC charger in my van charging a 100AH lead acid leisure battery. The leisure battery gets used occasionally mainly for charging phones and other gadgets when on holiday. The van is used frequently and most of the time when not on holiday the leisure battery is not in use and voltage is sitting at around 13v fully charged. I would expect the charger to detect the battery is full and to switch to float almost immediately, but it doesn't. It always goes to the absorption stage after I start the van and switches to float after 30 mins or so. The Adaptive Absorption Time option is selected in the Battery settings.

For long term maintenance of unused battery I read everywhere that float is best, would repeated 30mins at absorption be damaging in long term and would I be better disconnecting?

orion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Sorry, can't answer the question, but if you're worried and want to, there's the option to install a switch to turn the Orion on and off. This would be easier than regularly disconnecting/reconnecting the leisure battery.

But lead acid self discharges, needs regular charge topping up, so factor in possible damage from low state of charge/sulphation if you leave it off charge for too long. .

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Another thought, if you're running a BMV with a built in relay, you can wire that to switch the Orion on and off.
0 Likes 0 ·