question

flyingcrank avatar image
flyingcrank asked

Orion enters absorption before battery charged

Hi,

As requested @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff)

My camper is set up with an Orion non isolated 12/12 30 connected between the starter and the 100Ah LiFePo4 leisure battery.

In the last month, the Orion has stopped charging the battery when we're driving.

It bulk charges for about 2 minutes then switches to absorption and makes no difference to the battery from then on.

My setup also includes a smartsolar MPPT 30 and smart battery sense and through these I can see that the battery is nowhere near full enough to need absorption.

I've turned the MPPT off but this makes no difference, if you switch the Orion off and on again you get another minute of bulk before it switches back to Abs again.

I've attached some screenshots of the apps.

Both the chargers are connected with 8mm cables to positive and negative bus bars which connect to the battery through 16mm. It is a compact setup with cables well less than 1m in length.

Really keen to get this sorted before winter when we'll really be relying on the Orion!

Thanks in advance,

Rob

screenshot-20211031-073700.jpgImage Caption

screenshot-20211031-073736.jpgImage Caption

screenshot-20211031-073757.jpgImage Caption

screenshot-20211031-073741.jpgImage Caption

screenshot-20211031-073834.jpgImage Caption

screenshot-20211031-073827.jpgImage Caption

orion-tr smart
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

flyingcrank avatar image flyingcrank commented ·
@Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff)

Thanks for taking a look at this

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Flyingcrank

Absorption means that the output is at target voltage (14,2V in your case).

If the battery is not at that voltage, something is wrong. Have you measured voltages on the terminals of the Orion and battery terminals? Does the voltage on the terminals correspond with what the Orion displays?

Maybe the fuse between the Orion and the battery is blown? What value fuse have you used? Next suspect is the wiring itself.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.