question

bitcrusher avatar image
bitcrusher asked

MPPT, Multiplus and buck boost parallel

Maybe a silly question….

I have a Multiplus 2000 and a Buck boost in my RV (connected to cerbo). I now plan to install solar with an MPPT.

Do I have to use any diodes, to prevent the Chargers from voltage backflow?

Or can I easily put them in parallels?

What happens when solar is charging and buck boost or the Multiplus charger kicks in?

Is there any problem, when float voltage and absorption of the mppt is set a little lower as in buck boost and victron? (Lithium batt)

thanks for your help!

mppt charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
shaneyake avatar image
shaneyake answered ·

You don't need to use diodes or anything. If you are using Victron Buck/Boost, Victron MPPT and multiplus don't need it.
You can easily parallel them.
You will need to make sure that if all the chargers kick in at the same time that you won't exceed the charge current limit of the batteries. If you will then you should use the remote or on/off input to turn off units if other units are running or If you have a smartshunt or BMV then you can use DVCC to limit the charge current too.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bitcrusher avatar image
bitcrusher answered ·

Thank you!

What settings do you recommend?

Both, MPPT and multiplus Charger in float (13.2V for LiFePO?)

Or should I do let the MPPT do his job (cycle everyday?) and let the Multiplus charger only kick in as Backup, when SoC is e.g. < 30%? (Maybe in winter, when there is not enough sun)

The mppt does a full cycle everyday? Isn’t this harmful for the lithium? Is there a „float only“ function possible? Maybe going up to absorp only once a month for cell balance?

Thank you for your help!

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic