question

raymanak avatar image
raymanak asked

AGM Battery Charge Settings

I have Victron SmartSolar MPPT 150/60-tr charge controllers connected to 6 West Marine AGM batteries (group 31, 105 amp hr) for a total of 630 amp hrs and was wondering what the charge settings would be on the controller. I noticed there isn't preset settings in the VictronConnect app.

AGM Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

To confirm if any of the preset charge parameters are suitable for your battery you really should compare to the recommendations in the manufacturers data sheet for your particular battery.

Regarding the naming of the charge setting presets in Victron Connect, I agree that there is not one referencing regular AGM & this would be helpful - particularly as AGM is a fairly common battery type used.

But if you look at the MPPT manual there is a table with more information on the generic suitability for each preset.

Preset #1 or #2 (refered to as 'gel' in victron connect) is the generic preset available for regular AGM deep cycle batteries.

In saying that, still cross check to the battery manufacturers specifications, as there can be a significant difference between manufacturers recomendations for the same generic battery type.

Also check the temperature correction coefficient.

If you need/wish to adjust any of the charge parameters use the 'user defined' option.

Extract from MPPT manual attached below;

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

John Rushworth avatar image John Rushworth ♦♦ commented ·

You can use the ‘User defined’ settings and check the exact settings for your particular make of battery and set accordingly.

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image Mark ♦♦ John Rushworth ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks, I just made a slight update to my wording to make this clear.

1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic