question

svtti123 avatar image
svtti123 asked

Adding low temperature charging to Victron products

Would be nice to have a low temperature charge parameter to victron products that would lower charge current to a user selectable e.g. 5 amps when the battery temperature falls below low temperature parameter. My overhead with non essential items is about 50 watts . I could set this parameter to give me very little charging and maintain my current state of charge .

A second parameter algorithm that would determine how long the product would remain in low current charging based on ambient temperature above low temperature setting . As it stands now if a warm front comes in and temperature probe sees this the batteries start receiving max power before the batteries have had sufficient warming time and could be damaged .

temperature
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

You would want to monitor the battery temperature itself, not the ambient temperature.

I've seen some discussion regarding low temperature charging at reduced rate for LFPs. The trouble is, a good BMS will prevent charging below the battery's minimum temperature and there is nothing the GX device could do to prevent it. The BMS and it's interface to all charging devices would need to be redesigned. It would no longer be a binary decision.

A better solution might be to control battery heaters based on ambient temperature and the availability of charging power. For example, when the sun comes out, use solar energy to power the battery heater when the battery temperature is below its minimum.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

svtti123 avatar image
svtti123 answered ·

I am measuring batteries temperature with smart battery sense.

What I didn't say its mounted to my lithium battery's it can lead the internal temp of the battery. If you get a big shift in Abeint temperature. That temperature is a combination of Abeint plus external battery temp that's not the true temperature of the core of the battery what I have provided would give the batteries sufficient time to warm up after being below low temperature cut off.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic