question

jm2021 avatar image
jm2021 asked

Online Portal does not update

I have had nothing but trouble with the Cerbo GX and GX touch screen. Finally I have had it updating and working fine for a week and now that I've left my installation location and want to monitor it remotely as designed it is not updating and showing "offline". I see other posts regarding this but no real fixes offered. Anyone else having these troubles?

remote console
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
rodd avatar image
rodd answered ·

I have only in the last 3 days tried to use Remote Console but it "failed to connect" repeatedly. Thought maybe the cerbo might need an update (it's a new installation) but when I tried to get an update I got an "error in update" message. I'm so new at this that my problems may be "operator error". Did you have any of these problems and how did you fix them?

Rodd

2pm_Tomorrow

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
Sounds like a network problem to me.
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Cerbo must be connected to a local network via ethernet or Wi-Fi and the LAN needs access to the internet. Without this, online updates won't work and VRM won't be able to connect.

I've had no issues bringing up a CCGX, Raspberry PI running Venus OS and now Cerbo/Touch 70.

2 |3000

rodd avatar image
rodd answered ·

Thanks for the tip Kevin. The first thing I checked on my iphone was that wifi was turned on and reception seemed adequate. I was able to open victron connect and see the cerbo. However when I tried to update the firmware using the Touch50 pad it would start an update search but then errored out. Am I missing a step here? Rodd

2 |3000

jm2021 avatar image
jm2021 answered ·

It think it is pretty obvious the Cerbo requires wifi and internet to work. Thats the whole idea behind buying this unit. When I got back to my installation a few days later the wifi was working and it was connected, just not updating. After powering it down and reconnecting to wifi it was working. Now I've been gone for 10 days, and it was working but once again it has "lost connection". I'm 16hrs away from my installation so, unless I return the devices will sit there useless to me. Perhaps my internet loses connection and the Cerbo is not smart enough to reconnect with it once it is restored? I did do an update because it was not working well. It seems to have made a difference. Sorry I do not have any further insights and seeing as there hasn't been any useful comments on this issue we may just have devices that are not working properly and need to be replaced.

1 comment
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·

There are so many things than can affect Cerbo's internet connection. Victron has done some work recently to help make reconnection more robust but it's not perfect. So ...

You can set Cerbo (or any other GX device) to reboot if the internet connection is lost. The selection is "Reboot device when no connect" and is in Device List / Settings / VRM online portal.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic