Idea

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem suggested

Increase temperature sensor resolution

The temperature sensors appear to report temperature on dBus in degrees Centigrade as in integer. (VRM is reporting to the nearest 0.5 degrees!)

For us in the US that use the Fahrenheit scale, this results in a 2 degree jump in displayed value.

I would like to see dBus temperature values published to at least the nearest 0.5 degrees C. to 0.1 degrees C would be better.

Also, I'd like to see a Centigrade/Fahrenheit setting for all displayed temperatures.

Yes, I know, the US should just change to the Centigrade scale like the rest of the world, but ...

Temperature Sensor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett commented

I'd like to see 0.1 degree resolution for this. Whilst most analogue Temperature sensors use an approximation to convert the dc voltage back to temperature, sometimes resulting in an error of 1-2C, having the additional resolution would look better, and certainly suit the digital temperature sensors that are becoming more common.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mike4nl avatar image
mike4nl commented

#Cerbo GX
I have tested the Temp.-Sensors (LM335Z) and the original one on a ESP32 and a STM32.
It is very simple to show 0.1 deg. C or F values bevacuse default it is 10mV / per Kelvin.
It is only a little part in the software (analog input) and the calcultaion from Celsius to Fahrenheit and back.

I could help out Victron if they have an issue with that. ;-).

I hope we get a answer from you guys from Victron.

This is for the Celsius redaing.Fahrenheit converstion is easy as simple
----------------------------------------

// get temperature in tenths Kelvin
int k_temp = analogRead(A5) * 4; // 4 = 4096/1024
// calculate temperature in tenths °C
int c_temp = k_temp - 2732;

2 |3000

gone-sailing avatar image
gone-sailing commented

I don't think this is a limitation of dbus or VRM, my sensors show up in VRM with one decimal place.

1647960635022.png

1647961265704.png

4 comments
2 |3000

mike4nl avatar image mike4nl commented ·
You are right.

But this is an issue with the OS for the Cerbo GX in my case. It shows always a ZERO (e.g. 24.0) after the decimal point.

0 Likes 0 ·
mike4nl avatar image mike4nl mike4nl commented ·

e.g. this one.

screen3-dashborad.png

0 Likes 0 ·
mike4nl avatar image mike4nl mike4nl commented ·

Cerbo GX, Firmware version v2.84

0 Likes 0 ·
gone-sailing avatar image gone-sailing mike4nl commented ·
I'm also running Venus v2.84.
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem commented

My GuiMods package makes use of the temp sensor's raw data and calculates temperature from that and the offest/scale numbers. GuiMods displays temps to 1/10 degree.

GuiMods also provides a C/F selection for temp display in the flow and mobile overviews.

https://github.com/kwindrem/GuiMods

1 comment
2 |3000

mike4nl avatar image mike4nl commented ·
I know but i use no extra software because this is for a customer.
0 Likes 0 ·

Your Opinion Counts

Share your great idea, or help out by voting for other people's ideas.