Idea

taylortops avatar image
taylortops suggested

Hot Water Heater Opportunity Load

A little something I'm cooking up...

I have a Raspberry Pi that is receiving MQTT data. I use that data to determine if there is spare power available in my system. The Pi is driving a buck converter into a hot water heating element and modulating drive current according to present conditions. I've provided the circuit diagram previously. Here's my dashboard:

screen-shot-2022-10-06-at-185908.png

MQTTdashboard displayHot Water Diversion
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Comment

matejs avatar image
matejs commented

Hi!

This is exactly what I am looking for. I do not want to feed-in and I want to use spare power to heat water. I have started looking how to determine there is surplus power available (solar charger MppOperationMode, etc.), but I see you already have it all done.

Can you share more?

Thanks, Matej

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

taylortops avatar image taylortops commented ·

For sure, I assume you saw this-> Design. Key idea is to monitor battery amps and gradually step up current to the heater. If the battery current goes negative, you step down the heater current. It rides conditions.

Happy to assist, just ask.

0 Likes 0 ·
frankmsc68 avatar image frankmsc68 taylortops commented ·
Hi taylortops,i am looking as well to switch axcess pv power to a hot water heater from the Multi RS Solar which i'm planing to buy.You have done grat work on this,thanks for sharing!Have you ever thought of selling a kit for people like me who don't want to mess about with programming?Would be great!Thanks again,Frank
0 Likes 0 ·

Your Opinion Counts

Share your great idea, or help out by voting for other people's ideas.

Related Ideas