question

joeccv avatar image
joeccv asked

Orion TR mounting placement location

I'm installing an Orion TR Smart charger in a Mercedes sprinter build and I am wondering if there is a recommended placement for the charger. The manual does not say whether the charger should be kept closer to the input or output batteries but I am curious if it is recommended to keep the wire run shorter on the output side than the input side, which would require me to mount it near the house batteries at the wheel well in the rear.

Mounting it under the hood would however make it easier to run the wiring for the on/off switch which will be mounted in the dash. Any recommendations?

orion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
morriskr avatar image
morriskr answered ·

I am wondering the same thing. I am adding the Orion-Tr Smart 30A to Jayco Melbourne 2016. I am adding a lithium battery and want to limit the current from the alternator. I am looking to put the Orion-Tr Smart non-isolated under the passenger seat but I need to first locate the Jayco wiring that is tied into the Sprinter under the driver seat. I also want to be able to keep the feature that allows me to use the house battery to start the RV - if possible. The lithium house battery is a ReLion RB100-HP, which has the capacity to start the engine as I also needed the extra capacity to start the diesel generator.

Sprinter body equipment guidelines - good food for thought:

http://www.sprinter-rv.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Sprinter-Body-Equipment-Guidelines_2016.pdf

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.