question

johnhise avatar image
johnhise asked

Best settings for Orion-Tr Smart 12-12/18 with sagging input voltage

I installed an Orion-Tr Smart 12-12/18 in my RV to charge a Battle Born lithium battery. The input voltage sags to 8.6 volts when it attempts charge. I assume because of the 10awg wire size. This causes the charger to stop charging, and begin an endless cycle of charging for a few seconds and then stopping. I can get the charger to charge by essentially turning it into a dumb charger by disabling the voltage checks. Is there any other thing I can do to more functionality from my "smart" charger?

orion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
trip-tracks avatar image
trip-tracks answered ·

You need to increase your input cable size. I am guessing they are a long run and being only 10AWG the voltage drop will be too severe. If it is a standard 5-8m distance (10-16m circuit), you want a minimum 6AWG, or even better, 4AWG.

You can trying playing with the settings but you are only working around the issue.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ronhanson01 avatar image
ronhanson01 answered ·

Increase the wire size, but then you can draw more amps then you think

2 |3000