question

themurphys avatar image
themurphys asked

Orion TR Smart DC-DC Isolated 24/12-30 fluctuating voltage output

24v truck to 12v caravan.
My charger is stating a steady 24-28v input and I have set the output to 12v however the output continuously fluctuates from 12v and drops to 8 and 7v. The charger then jumps back to 12v and continues this voltage drop cycle. The voltage fluctuation happens at any engine RPM.

Any help in getting a steady 12v output would be appreciated.

orion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

First thing to check is the wiring. Breaks, faulty connections.

Where are you measuring the voltage changes?

Where is the charger installed?

Is there a battery on both the output and input?

Is it set up as charger or power supply?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

themurphys avatar image themurphys commented ·
Wiring and connections are all in good condition and secure. Charger is installed in a weatherproof container with air circulation.

24v battery system on the truck side and 12v battery system on the caravan side.

The TR-Smart is set up as a charger with the output voltage set to 12v.

I think it may be that the 12v system is sensing how many amps it can draw and once it attempts to draw more than 30a the TR-Smart turns the output voltage off. The 12v system them drops the demand below 30a and the TR-Smart turns back on. I believe it is going through this cycle and switching the output on/off as the 12v system continuously tries for more than 30a.

Would setting the TR-Smart to power supply provide a continuous 12v and 30a?

0 Likes 0 ·