question

truckcamper1 avatar image
truckcamper1 asked

Truck camper system setup

2022 Adventurer truck camper with 100 watt gopower solar. Looking to replace with two 200 w and victron controller and maybe 400 ah of battery (lipo4)

Also looking at Orion Dcdc. Don't have big need for inverter power so small inverter maybe if necessary for system.

All of the designs seem to be full blown systems, looking to go in stages if possible but need whatever is needed to eventually go all in.

Converter is PD4045ka and NOT lithium ready.

Know basic components required but how can they integrate into the existing system??

Thanks in advance.

system design
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

9 Answers
regman54 avatar image
regman54 answered ·

Assuming your existing PD converter is an older one which lacks a lithium/lead acid switch replace it with a newer one that has the switch. If you need occasional AC power a gas generator will work in any condition rain or shine. That's the route I went.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rgrver avatar image
rgrver answered ·

I have a 2001 Lance truck camper with the following:

• 225 watts of solar

• 100ah lithium

• Victron MPPT 75/15

• Victron Orion 18A DC- DC

• Victron 500A shunt

• 400w inverter

I traveled several months in the US West the last three summers with this setup, and never used anything but solar to keep my battery charged. I don't run the DC-DC while driving, because I don't need it. I installed it for a “just in case” situation (solar failure, etc.)..

I don't have any high wattage devices, like a coffee maker or hair dryer. My laptop and camper furnace and vent fan are the power hogs. I rarely camp at places that have power hookups, so I stayed with my original converter, which I've hardly used.

Good luck with your system and safe travels,

Ralph

1 comment
2 |3000

truckcamper1 avatar image truckcamper1 commented ·
Did you connect the two Victron devices directly to battery or use pos and neg bus/Lynx?

I am planning to use smaller inverter Gen if I absolutely need AC or shore power if available.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

You'll need to replace the converter.

Maybe look at a multiplus to cover this, lithium charging and inverter. MPPT can go straight to the battery, as can an Orion if you're going to charge from the truck alternator/battery whilst driving.

2 |3000

truckcamper1 answered ·

Why replace the converter?

I am trying to avoid the added cost of the multi plus inverter if possible, shore power or small generator is fine if i absolutely need AC power.

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Because of the lithium battery
0 Likes 0 ·
truckcamper1 answered ·

my understanding, please correct me if i am wrong.

The solar mainly and the Orion will be keeping the batts charged, although the converter will not charge completely it will potentially get to 80%, solar or DCDC can finish?

I didn't think it would "compromise" anything.

A. It has a solar controller right now so shouldn't be an issue there.

B. DCDC will only work when truck is running, so not hooked to shore power or gen.

Just trying to head off any cross over/ backfeed between the different systems.

Would adding a lynx and running the solar controller out and the dcdc out through that accomplish what i am trying to do?

2 |3000

regman54 avatar image
regman54 answered ·

Perhaps a little background will help us make some recommendations. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm only trying to help, but I get the feeling this is your first camper? Truck camper, travel trailer, or otherwise?

If so I would recommend for the first year you use your camper the way you got it. I would however recommend getting a SmartShunt first. It's like a gas gauge for the battery. It will tell you how full it is and how much energy you are actually drawing from it at any given time and show you when it needs to be recharged. Armed with the knowledge of how much energy you are using each day will help you make future hardware purchases that much easier. Why buy more than you need.

A little background from me. I'll soon be 70 years old and have been camping with a travel trailer since 1976. The first unit was a 13 footer so likely not much larger than your truck camper. It had a single lead acid car battery and was only recharged by the tow vehicle while on the road. No genny's or solar and I got along just fine without them. I say this because experience is the beat teacher and it will help you make future purchasing decisions that much easier. Cheers.

2 |3000

truckcamper1 answered ·

Second truck camper, first was a total rebuild project. This one is relatively new. Have had many tow behind trailers/fifth wheels.

This is first rig where we have spent anytime off grid. Most of the info I have looked at online/YouTube is focused on full on builds with lots of solar/batts and large inverters.

I dont need it nor want it so seeking to put in a basic system for better reliability and flexibility.

I guess that is not sexy for a lot of people.

My plan is one 230 ah lifo and maybe 300 watts of solar. Victron 100/50 controller and a Orion Dcdc, all with appropriately sized wire. I just plan on substituting this setup in place of a existing lead acid batteries so in reality the only change to the existing setup will be new pos/neg power coming into the existing converter again with proper size wire. I will not need to tamper with the existing shore power setup and the Gen will go through that as well.

My only question is the best way to collect the power from the two sources before it is sent to the converter and whether there will be any problem setting it up in this manner. Seems straightforward to me except for best way to send power to the converter.

1. Hook the two directly to the battery and run the wires from there

2. Use pos and neg bus bars and go from there.

3. Use Lynx distributor.

Forgot to mention a battery monitor. Will it be necessary with the info that can be gotten from the solar controller and the Orion.

Thanks

2 |3000

rgrver avatar image
rgrver answered ·

I previously had two lead acid batteries with an Off-1-2-Both 4 position switch. Since I changed to lithium, I use the same switch with:
Output 1 = lithium battery
Output 2 = small AGM battery for emergency use if lithium fails
Input = Both solar and DC-DC outputs tied together

For a battery monitor I use the Victron shunt that shows % battery charge for the lithium via bluetooth to my phone.

Not sure why you need new wiring to your converter. There is already wiring from the battery to the converter. You just need new wiring from the DC-DC to the battery. In my case, that is done at my switch. No reason you can't just run new wiring from the DC-DC to the battery.

Ralph

2 |3000

rgrver avatar image
rgrver answered ·

I forgot that your solar charger would be a new device. So, you need to include that in the wiring to the battery. You could either connect the solar and dc/dc together at the battery, or at some other point in the wiring. If you have a battery disconnect switch already installed, you should connect the solar/dc-dc wiring to the side of the switch that is NOT connected to the battery.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic