question

koos147 avatar image
koos147 asked

Battery charger with mppt solar controller

Good day all,

i have an offgrid location with 2x250 solar (in serie) to an MPPT solar controller (can't find the brand. aluminium thing) connected to 2x100ah agm battery (paralel)

during summer months live is good. but in the winter the power received from the solar pannels doesn't fully support the used power. so for years we are disconnecting everything in winter and rewire some ligts to a timer.

This years we thought lets do it different. buy a generator and an Blue Smart IP22 Charger 12V/30A

i googled that this shouldn't be a problem combined with the solar controller as long as you attach the charger directly to the batery.

so we installed everything. and let the generator run for some hours. the victron app shows it had added 185AH to the battery's. The capacity is 200ah and they where not dead at the beginning. so they should be full by then. however when i stoped charging the battery went down to 40% full within a few minutes.

so the only reason i can think of is that the controller went to overvoltage protection and dumped the voltage provided by the charger.

small note. the battery's are not easy accessible so i can't disconnect them everytime i need to charge.

Long story short.

1. Is my conclusion right? will the solar controller take energy from the battery?

2. when i replace them with a Victron version. will it stop wasting my energy? or do i need to add relay's to disconnect the battery?

Thanks in advanced for you effort in helping a new Victron user.

battery chargingMPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Sarah avatar image
Sarah answered ·

How are you measuring the battery capacity? I you need to use a proper monitor and shunt such as a BMV to do this with any reliability.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

koos147 avatar image
koos147 answered ·

the blue smart show how much energy went into the battery.

I use a simple volt meter to measure the level of the battery (not that accurate. but it provides a good indication)

Also, the load is a router,raspberry,arduino,3 led lights and a camera. that will never use the full 200ah within a week.

in the past the solar controller had a measurement screen showing the incoming power. around this time of the year it drops to 400watt a day, and the battery's start slowly losing power. the screen is broken so no information anymore.

2 |3000

Sarah avatar image
Sarah answered ·

Hi @koos147 can I please suggest you start with reading Wiring Unlimited - this is a great text for getting started with Victron,

As far as your current setup is concerned it is hard to tell what is going on. If your batteries are dropping in voltage very quickly after they are disconnected from the charger then they sound like they need to be replaced. Unfortunately I don’t know what type of batteries you have and what settings were used on the charger so this is just guessing. It is unlikely that the solar controller has anything to do with your problem but again we don’t know what type of controller you have.

Trying to measure battery capacity using voltage is hugely inaccurate and depends a great deal on the type of batteries you are using,

It is also worth noting that many AGM batteries don’t like to be discharged lower than 60% of their total capacity (depends on type). So for a 200 Ah batter these means roughly 80 ah of usable storage.

Start with working out the load, worst case charging capacity and typical load. These numbers will help guide you in sizing an appropriate solution,

2 |3000

koos147 avatar image
koos147 answered ·

I solved the issue as follow.

Bought a 200A relay (battery bank is fused 60A) with the lead from the solar controller to the main battery bank.

when activated it change over to the second battery bank. all load after the charge controller keeps working from the second battery bank.

when charging is completed, the relay switch back and everything works as normal.

This is the first time the charger finished charging since the battery was full.

Would't try this on a very sunny day. But there would be no reason because the solar panels would provide more power than i need. so charging of a generator is a waste of fuell.

it is not a perfect solution, would be better to buy a new charge controller. but it works and that is enough for now.

2 |3000