question

mfred68 avatar image
mfred68 asked

Maximum grid charging time

I have 28kw of batteries 48v system. I don't yet have a victron inverter charger. It will be off grid, but via a contacted the grid will charge the batteries during off peak times in a 7 hour window.

What model inverter charger is best suited to have enough charging power to dump 28kw in 7 hours into the batteries? It would have to be able to charge with 4kwh for 7 hours. Is this achievable?

48volt charging
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

thanar avatar image thanar commented ·
Your units are upside down. Energy is measured in kWh, power is measured in kW. Please correct.
1 Like 1 ·
2 Answers
thanar avatar image
thanar answered ·

A Multiplus-II 8kVA would do the trick, I guess. Even a 5kVA model would marginally would be able to do it.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

Not quite. It will put out 70A charging current which is 3.5kW for a battery on charge at a nominal 50V. It is happy to do this indefinitely and the fan noise is much reduced following the fan driver mod. Depends a bit if your battery is going to be totally flat every time and what the round trip efficiency is.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic