question

roadpapa avatar image
roadpapa asked

DCDC Charger bluetooth not finding device

Have an isolated charger newly installed and I believe everything is correct. When I first turn it on it doesn't locate the device when trying to connect. Tried a few times, disconnected battery and reconnected but no change.

LED on and voltage normal range

Have app on my phone for 712 and not sure what else to try.

Thanks

dc-dc charger
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Can you please more exact what device you have?

Can you make a picture?

0 Likes 0 ·
roadpapa avatar image roadpapa Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
The device is a Orion 12/12-30 converter installed in an RV with two 200AH LifePO4 batteries in parallel. I can take a picture tomorrow.

0 Likes 0 ·
5 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

If it is a normal Orion it doesn't have Bluetooth and is not designed as a charger.

Only the Orion-Tr Smart and the new Orion XS are chargers and have Bluetooth.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

roadpapa avatar image
roadpapa answered ·

Hi,

Okay didn't know there were so many. This one is an isolated dc/dc converter Orion-TR 12/12-30.

It doesn't say TR-smart. So is this still Bluetooth? Just trying to get it up and running.

Thanks

2 |3000

roadpapa avatar image
roadpapa answered ·

Just checked and it's not the Smart version.

The box says it can also be used as a charger?

So I adjust the output initially and leave it at 14.4 volts.

No there adjustments can really be made apparently.

Have a 712 in place.

Thanks

6 comments
2 |3000

snoobler avatar image snoobler commented ·
No. A constant 14.4V to the battery will over-charge it.
0 Likes 0 ·
roadpapa avatar image roadpapa snoobler commented ·
Just curious what these guys do when they simply drop in a LifePO4 in place of a LFA and do not use anything, are they overcharging constantly?

Dropping the output will really never fully charge the battery correct?

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
snoobler avatar image snoobler roadpapa commented ·
Most batteries have a charging system, not just a converter, OR that converter is set to 13.6-13.8V where it's generally okay to keep an AGM battery floated.

Last night, I charged my 12.8V 100Ah LFP to 104.5Ah out of the 105Ah tested capacity at 13.6V. Started at 20A and finished at 2A - took about 7.5 hours.

Though I've told you this already elsewhere... and showed you the charge curves.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Set it to the float voltage of your battery, probably 12.7V.

Better would be to contact the seller and exchange it for the charger.

0 Likes 0 ·
roadpapa avatar image roadpapa kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Okay, just when I think I've got it completed they throw a curveball. Leaving on a 6 week trip within a few days and most likely not enough time to get a different one.

Was planning on wiring bridge to D+ on alternator to charge when running, probably won't matter much will it?

If I do that and drop output to float would be kinda okay for now?

How about the area where the battery charger was topping out at that was like 13.4

Will replace with a Smart version just not right away. What good is this converter and what's it normally used for?

Thanks all

0 Likes 0 ·
snoobler avatar image snoobler roadpapa commented ·
13.6V per the other forum.
0 Likes 0 ·
roadpapa avatar image
roadpapa answered ·

I suppose I could also wire bridge to a switch in cab of RV and control it that way for the trip. Also be able to leave charge output at 14.4

Acceptable but not perfect?

1 comment
2 |3000

snoobler avatar image snoobler commented ·
Human BMS fail regularly.

13.6V

0 Likes 0 ·
roadpapa avatar image
roadpapa answered ·

Ordered a Smart version and hopefully ships quick enough. If not I'll drop output down for the trip.

Thanks

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic