question

jonny-b avatar image
jonny-b asked

Rack Size For 4 Off Pylontech 5000 Packs?

Does anyone know what size in 'U' units I'll need for 4 off Pylontech 5000s? I think they'll fit in a 16U, but before I buy a rack too small, am I forgetting anything like cooling space between units, or space for shelf brackets? Thanks in advance.

Pylontech
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jonf3n avatar image jonf3n commented ·

@Jonny B Did you install a rack?
I'm installing and just have the batteries stacked on a piece of wood with small pieces between each battery for now. My solar guy says this is fine and there is no real benefit to a rack in my case, but I'm interested to hear what others think?

0 Likes 0 ·
Craig Chamberlain avatar image Craig Chamberlain jonf3n commented ·
The Pylontech manual clearly states that you shouldn’t be stacking more than 3 units without additional support such as a rack with rear supports. These modules are 40Kg so a stack of 4 would result in 160Kg being applied to the base of the bottom module.
1 Like 1 ·
daza avatar image daza jonf3n commented ·

I was in a similar position but I love the rack it makes it look like a proper job not a diy thing and housing my network equipment in it to cleared space but for me it was the ascetic of the build as I spent loads of time with the wires I wanted it to look the part too, see a thread that I started here https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/204968/server-rack.html

0 Likes 0 ·
123-racks avatar image 123-racks jonf3n commented ·

Useful to note, 1U is 1.75 inches. So a US5000 measuring 6.34 inches high would need 3.62U. And as 'U's come in whole numbers, that's 4U. Whether you want to leave space in-between each battery depends on your environment and your installer's advice. But we find around 21U is popular to allow space for cables coming in at the base / top, and space in-between. (Other sizes are available.)

Definitely recommend a fixed shelf that can support 50kg, PLUS bolting in at the front to distribute load nicely. And use rack feet!

One manufacturer we use can also supply thermostatically controlled heaters / fans if you are installing in 'one of those' awkward places. Happy to help.

0 Likes 0 ·
7 Answers
bulmonoss avatar image
bulmonoss answered ·

Dear Jonny-b, 4 Pylontech US5000 will fit into a 16U rack (see pdf), I believe that the space between units (16,8mm) is a little lower compared with the 4 units rack mount you see in the Pylontech manual, so it will be Ok depending of how do you use the batteries, environment temperature, etc.

RACK 16U.pdf

rack-16u.pdf (4.7 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Peter Buijs - NL avatar image
Peter Buijs - NL answered ·

According to the manual each unit must be placed on a shelf (for a min. wieght of 40kg). These kind of shelves need some support on the rear side, not only the front. It is not allowed to mount the Pylontech unit only with the front "ears" only, these are just for securing in position to the rack.

Also be aware of a proper air flow, a glass door looks nice but the airflow is blocked.
1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Yes. Interestingly the Pylontech cabinets simply have supporting rails at both of the sides, not a full shelf.
0 Likes 0 ·
jonf3n avatar image
jonf3n answered ·

Has anyone tried this setup?

Is the airflow between US5000 batteries enough in a U16 rack?

Example with fan: https://ledkia.com/uk/buy-racks/77770-pylontech-u16-battery-rack-with-2-fans.html

4 comments
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
If it helps, the standard Pylon cabinet is sealed, has no fan.
1 Like 1 ·
jonf3n avatar image jonf3n kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Thanks. Do the US5000 get hot?
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ jonf3n commented ·
Not had mine under heavy load yet.
0 Likes 0 ·
jonf3n avatar image jonf3n kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Tried a heavy load yet?
0 Likes 0 ·
daza avatar image
daza answered ·

@jonf3n Not that hot warm but not hot, mine are in a celetex box with a 60watt heat lamp and will be a toasty 27 to 30 degrees at 70amps charge for 4 or 5 hours

2 |3000

Craig Chamberlain avatar image
Craig Chamberlain answered ·

I’ve had three US5000 modules in a 16U Samson SRK16 rack for almost 5 months with no issues. I’ve spaced the batteries to leave space for a fourth module but currently have networking gear in the top slots. I’ve run the system at max charging of 70A from inverter, 120A from MPPTs and max discharge of just over 100A on several occasions and the batteries never seem to rise much above ambient temps.

My rack is open front and back, and has rear supports for the batteries. Let me know if you want any more info.

2 comments
2 |3000

bombadill avatar image bombadill commented ·
What kind of rear supports you used?
0 Likes 0 ·
duivert avatar image
duivert answered ·

pylontech advises to keep space between them so i would advice to use a 20U rack

i have 3 pylontech 5000 in a 16u rack and they have never been hot, just warm

most important is the shelving, the rack mount on the front of the 5000s can not hold there own weight!!

2 |3000

123-racks avatar image
123-racks answered ·

Completely agree @duivert !

20U Rack
https://www.123racks.co.uk/shop/?s=cab-fe-20U&post_type=product
(If not available, can do 22U at the same price)

Heavy-duty wheels
https://www.123racks.co.uk/shop/product/heavy-duty-castors-for-comms-rack-cabinet-server-enclosure/

4-corner fixed shelf
https://www.123racks.co.uk/shop/product/fixed-shelf-for-600mm-deep-econetcab-and-valucab/

And don't forget the nuts and screws if not included with the rack!

2 |3000