question

tomdorves avatar image
tomdorves asked

AC input max current not taken into account on a Multiplus II 48/5000 GX

annotation-2024-01-02-174210.jpgHi there, I need the AC input current to remain around 1A. Thanks to the reading of this Q&A I found that by deactvating PowerAssist I was able to set the input current under 6A. When the Multiplus is only charging it works fine, the 1A limit is respected, but when I switch on my 2.2kW waterpump it goes much over 1A. How to remain under the limit once the Multiplus goes from charger mode to inverter mode? Thanks

charge current limit
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

snoobler avatar image snoobler commented ·

An inverter/charger is both, but can only be one at a time.

When charging on AC, the AC is passed through to the loads because the inverter is using the circuitry to convert AC to DC.

The only option I see is to use an assistant or virtual switch to "ignore AC input" when the load is over 230W for 1 second:

1704222560276.png

Load higher than 230W for 1 second:

1704222580676.png

Return to AC when load is lower than 230W for 15 seconds:

1704222612984.png

This may be insufficient to meet your needs.

It may make more sense to simply power a seperate AC-DC charger as a 1A input limit is a pretty absurd restriction.

0 Likes 0 ·
1704222560276.png (59.4 KiB)
1704222580676.png (62.2 KiB)
1704222612984.png (63.2 KiB)
3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

I would say that's the downside of disabling the powerassist.

Without powerassist the Multi will not use the battery to assist the loads.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tomdorves avatar image
tomdorves answered ·

Thanks for your prompt feedbacks.

To sum-up, it seems I have 3 ways to go :

1. I add a time programmer on the electrical panel, to unconnect the AC input during the night, as the current comes from a photovoltaic system which wont supply during the night. And my pump will only turn during the night.
  2. I set a virtual switch to "ignore AC input" as suggested by Snoobler. My pump has a Schneider Altistart progressive starter so I can set from 1 to 5 seconds the delay to reach the ~2200 Watts so the 1s delay shouldn't be an issue.
  3. I keep the parameters which are currently set => When my pump is on, the Multi will try to get the load from the AC input, but the voltage will decrease under the allowed limit as it is provided via a 2.5mm² cable which is 1500m long. So I guess it will stop to use the AC input. Not tried yet as it is currently powered by a genset. Is there any risk to damage my Multi if thi is done several times per day ?
1 comment
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
3. Will not work because after disconnecting the AC IN the voltage will rise and the MultiPlus will reconnect.

I think another option would be to disconnect the MultiPlus from the AC IN and use a small battery charger instead.

That way you always have a small charge to your battery without overloading the AC IN.

0 Likes 0 ·
tomdorves avatar image
tomdorves answered ·

I tried the 2 : with a virtual switch to "ignore AC input" as suggested by Snooble.

It seems to work well, which is a great news !

I have 2 comments, however :

- After stopping the pump it took like a min, to reactivate the AC input instead of 15s I had expected. Not a big deal.

- The AC input wattage slowly goes up, during several minutes, then stops around 110W, indicating a current arround 1A, which is the max I set. It's like if I had a 110V input. I would expect 220W to be displayed.

Isn't the wattage = current x voltage ??

wattage.jpg

wattage.jpg (41.8 KiB)
2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic