question

assyntdavid avatar image
assyntdavid asked

High frequency issue AC out when using Gen start/stop

Judging from what I have read on the forum, this may be an observation rather than a question, but here goes.

I recently was delighted to have found a way of using the 'general flag user' and 'programmable relay' assistants so that my house ESS system would connect to the mains at night to charge the batteries (cheaper electricity) and disconnect from the mains during the day automatically (ie ignore AC input). (Previously I had been disconnecting the mains manually with an external isolator.) It appeared to be working perfectly whilst I was away for a week. The fact that the PV was generating 0kWh did not bother me because my PV panels in the north of Scotland usually do that in the dull weather we were having. When I returned home I noticed that the kitchen appliance clocks had started to run fast. I also noticed an error code on the PV inverter which had shut down with a high AC frequency fault condition. Sure enough the AC frequency graph from the Multiplus 2 was as shown in this screendump.screenshot-2023-12-09-at-15-16-44-home-vrm-portal.pngThe PV inverter screen shows the frequency cycling up to 52.4Hz approx 2x per minute.

When fully isolated from the mains manually the same graph looks like this.

screenshot-2023-12-09-at-15-15-39-home-vrm-portal.png

Q&As elsewhere on the forum seem to indicate that this is a consequence of the inverter constantly readying itself for possible reconnection to the mains/generator, which would suggest that this characteristic is built into the control software and has no solution. BUT - just in case, there are some real clever guys out there, I am asking - does anyone have a potential solution to this? Switching the mains off during the day is not essential, but is highly desirable in my set up. And using this gives me the option of easily connecting the mains via VRM dashboard remotely which could be very useful during the summer months. It seemed a very useful addition to my ESS scheduled charging facility.

Thanks in anticipation,

David

frequencyacoutacin
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

I have the same issue here with my BS3500 and the MultiPlus-II 24/5000.

The BS3500 does not provide a stable frequency and the MultiPlus-II can not cope with it.

There are only two solutions:

1) try another Generator

2) Use a charger

I use the second option, since I own some LEAB ABC2430 and LEAB LPC 2415. Hence I created a huge battery of paralleled chargers.

On monday I have an appointment in a Truck Trashyard and will get a suitable (200A ?) Alternator for my 8,2kW engine which can also run from LPG.

I definitively have enough from all this 230V Generators!

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic