question

Axel Flaig avatar image
Axel Flaig asked

Can an ESS be configured to partially drain the battery over night?

Hello everyone,

I am planning a grid-parallel Victron ESS with the following components:

20 PV modules in 3 groups with a total of 7.4Kwp

1 Multiplus 48/5000

4 Pylontech US5000

2 Smartsolar 150/60

1 Smartsolar 250/70.

On average, our household + EV has a consumption of 15-25kWh per day. So far, so good.

Now I wonder what happens when we are on summer holidays and consumption drops to 2-3kWh per day? The batteries will be full in a short time because the MP can only feed 4kWh into the grid in continuous operation, i.e. significantly less than what comes from the roof in the middle of the day.

Here are my specific questions

1) Is it possible to partially discharge the battery into the grid at night, e.g. down to 50% SOC?

2) Does the SmartSolar Charger reduce the output of the PV modules when the battery is full and the MP can feed less into the grid than the PV modules can supply?

I would also be appreciative of alternative solutions.

Thanks

ess discharging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Yes on both. Best go do the training at professional.victronenergy.com and poke around here with the search function. Common requirements, asked and answered many times before.

Also have a look at the modifications section and dynamic ESS.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Axel Flaig avatar image
Axel Flaig answered ·

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll check as you suggested and find out.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic