question

multiplusfan avatar image
multiplusfan asked

Optimized with BatteryLife but editable SOC?

Hi all,

I am asking myself since when it is possible to set a SOC Limit while ESS "Optimized with BatteryLife" is active and what does it do?

Last time I checked it out the SOC Limit was set automatically and was not editable.

Regards,
Volker

I am running a MULTIPLUS-II 48/5000/70-48
CERBO GX
Pylontech batteries with 7.2kWh capacity

Multiplus-IIESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@MultiplusFan

The one settings is editable. But if the system decides higher, that is not editable.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

iammotorhomeless avatar image
iammotorhomeless answered ·

@MultiplusFan
I have my SOC set (to 5%) and have Optimized with BatteryLife turned on

the way I understand it, if the battery does not reach 100% at the end of the day, the SOC goes up by 5% (to 10%) and every day that the battery does not get to 100% it goes up another 5%

but once the battery gets to 100% the SOC goes back to what you'd set it to.

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

No. Manual set of SOC is a starting value. Meter will show state of charge as starting value plus what you added to it after setting it manually. So if it's at 5% at start and you charge an extra 30% of battery capacity it will show 35%.

Once the fully charged criteria are met the SOC will jump to 100%, even if it was only showing 60% before that.

0 Likes 0 ·
multiplusfan answered ·

Thx for your answer but maybe I gotta be more precise :-)

When I started using the Mulitplus-II in march this year I thought it would be wise to let the device and the ESS decide about the SoC with its algorithm. But whenever I turned on "with Battery Life" the SoC was set to 85% on the start and was no longer changeable manually. As it was sunny and I had no problem to load the batteries from 10% to full per day I decided to start off manually and come back activating the algorithm when the weather gets worse and a 85% SOC will do it. The algorithm would then adjust the 85% every day from then on according to the general situation.

Now that the weather is worse I turned on "with Battery Life" and was surprised that I was still able to change the SOC manually now. I wondered what update in the past had activated that. However I thought "Cool, I can set a starting point now, thats smart!".
But unfortunately it seems that I am able to set the SOC now manually but the alogorithm is not adjusting it.

I am sitting on 80% SOC since one week now and my highest load on the battery was 84% in that time and the SOC is not adjusted at all by the algorithm.

So either the algorithm fails now or I did something wrong but for me now "with BatteryLife" and "without BatteryLife" act exactly the same.

2 |3000

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

With batterylife you can only change the minimum SOC, like you do without BL.

The active (BL) SOC is not editable, you can see it is missing the little adjustment symbol.

It takes time for the limit to come down and it can be slow. Previously it never appeared to change unless the BL mode was actually enabled, but it seems different now.

Mine, even though perfectly charged would always default to 80% if I changed modes, but if I do it now, it appears correct (see pic), and I never use with BL.

For southern hemisphere BL is mostly useless, it is far too slow, where there is gradual change and prolonged poor weather, it is much better.

screenshot-2023-10-24-at-105909.png

2 |3000

d4h-ottmar avatar image
d4h-ottmar answered ·

First - if my post breaks the guidelines here, please delete.

However, there's a chance to adjust the active SOC too, but this is for experts only and should used as "last resort" method.

I run in this issue, after setting minimun SOC to a high value (80%) in BL Mode temporarily. This also adjusted Active SOC unexpectely. Searching the Internet i found this post on an other community platform: https://energytalk.co.za/t/possible-to-manually-change-active-soc-limit-on-victron/294

Please follow instructions of user Plonkster, but be careful. However, this works.

2 |3000

multiplusfan answered ·

Well my active SOC is 80% right now. Just the level I set one week ago and my battery status has not been above 83%. BL is active but the min SOC wont move at all.

Shouldnt itbe raised by 5% each day the battery does not hit the 100%?

Oh and I am living in germany. So the weather is really not appealing these days.

2 |3000

d4h-ottmar avatar image
d4h-ottmar answered ·

There a some threads around here, which explain the algorithm of mode battery life. You can find the technical information by Victron here: https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Energy_Storage_System/en/controlling-depth-of-discharge.html . The important part of the document: On a technical level, BatteryLife increases the dynamic lower charge limit by 5% for each day that a good state of charge was not reached. The value is increased once a day when the battery reaches the lower limit for the first time. When the battery reaches 85% SoC on the day, the increment for that day is canceled and the limit remains the same as the previous day. If the battery reaches 95% on any day, the dynamic discharge limit is lowered by 5%. The result is that the battery reaches a healthy charge of between 85% and 100% SoC every day.

If you decide to manual adjust the SOC for some reasons change to mode without Battery life before. This will not touch the active SOC and you can switch back to Mode BL afterwards without having changed active SOC. If active SOC is changed unexepted in a case please check my post before.

2 |3000

multiplusfan answered ·

Thanks for your replies!

I will try setting the min SOC to 70% with BL active and observe if the Active SOC will change. For the moment my battery is bobbling around 80%.

2 |3000