question

caleb avatar image
caleb asked

Need help for designing properly my solar system?

I have used the power analyzer to measure the power consumption, the average energy consumption per day is 675.775KWh/day.

to get the PV panel required for the system I multiply the daily consumption by 1.25 which is the 25% energy losses in PV system and after divided by the value of the sun peak hour that is 4.2 for Malakal town in South Sudan. the result is divided by 550Wp of PV panels that I have chosen which led to get 366 PV panels for the system.

in the same power analyzer data when I did the average maxim current, I found that for each phase we have 90A, to do the calculation I added 15% as a safety margin which gave me 103.5A/phase.

Now to size my battery bank, this is how I started. Based on the average max current plus the safety margin, I used this formula to determine the max active power used in real time by the system. P = I X 554.25

P = 103.5X554.25 = 57364.875 W, 57.364KW

P= 54.364KW

Knowing the active power, I time by 24house to get the maximum energy consumption per day; and here is the result,

E= 54.364 X 24 = 1304.736KWh/day

Now the formula for the battery sizing that I have used is that:

Battery bank (Ah) = 1304.736KWhX1day of autonomy/ (0.85X0.8X52)

0.85 Batteries losses, 0.8 battery efficiency and 52 batty bank setups. I have used the freedom won Lite 60/48 for this purpose.

Battery bank(Ah) = 36898.64Ah this is the battery bank capacity needed to hand load.

to get the quantity of battery needed

No of the batteries = 36898.64Ah/1200 = 30.74

No of Lite 60/48 battery will be 31 Pcs.

now in the datasheet of the battery it recommends maxi 35KVA inverter, which mean for each battery we will need 2 Quatro 15KVA.

Please if I am wrong help be determine the battery bank and the inverter/charger;

for the system I want to used fronius both in the input and output.

The other information is that the maxi load is during the night from 6PM to 7am. during the day the average max current is around 60A/Phase.

Please help me clarify this design.

Look forward to hearing from you.

system design
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@caleb

If you check the community guidelines it states system design is out of the scope of the forum.

Especially because it is large and complex system.

What you need to do is contact a dealer or seller of Victron equipment and work with them. We are talking a three phase parallel here.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

I hope you know what are you doing!

This forum is not for system design of high power systems.

This is NOT a system which can be made via this forum, even if me and some orhers have already designed systems with 12 Quatto 48/15000 and a battery bank of 8x 4350Ah.

Yoo should REALY contact a local Distributor or certified Reseller/Installer for such system! However, Iwould suggest you to engage an Engineer which has experience in high power systems.

I am Engineer in electrotechnic, but was struggling with my first mega project fir more then one year. We are talking about an investment of mire then 400.000€ plus two windmills of 40kW...

Note: I dubt, that with 201,3kWp of Solarpanels you get over the year in Sudan. I was long time ago there with my MAN CAT2 (8x8 Off-Road Camper) and I had a huge load of 200Wp pabels on the roof and I got only 2-3 sunhours.

Same here in Estonia, where I got ladt year from January to August 2280kWh while this year I got only 1476kWh and I had to run a GenSet in Summer, because my 70,5kWh batteries where empty. I got from 2017 to 2022 between 1720kWh and 2780kWh per year. I am just upgrade my Solarpanels by factor 3,2 to be sure, that even in beginning of November ny batteries are full. Also i am upgrading my batteries to 175kWh because of increased power needs.

You should calculate the weather/climat change also in Sudan!

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic