question

mrkev avatar image
mrkev asked

Error2 BlueSolar

I'm running 6x Pylontech US5000 in parallel, linked via the CANbus to a CerboGX. Charging this I have 8 BlueSolar MPPT 150/35.

My MPPT are a mix of hardware rev2 and rev 3, rev 2 are running FW 1.61 and rev3 are running rev 1.59. Cerbo GX is F/W 2.91

The problem I have is that the FW1.61 MPPT units report battery overvoltage as soon as any charging starts - even if I replace the solar panels with a bench PSUand gradually increase the PV voltage. The only way to recover seems to be to disconnect VE.direct, PV and battery connections and restart it.

I can't seem to find a way to regress the F/W to 1.59, so I'm not sure what to check next Any ideas!

Thanks
Kevin

MPPT SmartSolar
9 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Are they all programmed the same?

Or have the blue solar just been programmed with the rotary switches?
0 Likes 0 ·
mrkev avatar image mrkev Alexandra ♦ commented ·
They are all connected to the Cerbo GX, so the rotary switch does not affect the operation....

If I could get a copy of V1.59o for rev 2 hardware I would reprogram so all running same firmware, but naturally I am reluctant to update the working rev 3/V1.59 to v1.61 in case I end up making them stop working!

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ mrkev commented ·

It is necessary if comms are not ok which can happen on can bus dropped packets etc.

Program individually, keep the system with the GX as controller and see if that makes a difference.

When i say program i mean confirm the system battery voltage on the mppt. And set the absorption float and battery type.

0 Likes 0 ·

Not working:

1690891580963.png1690891607970.png

Working:

1690891643952.png

1690891659127.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1690891580963.png (26.5 KiB)
1690891607970.png (18.1 KiB)
1690891643952.png (26.2 KiB)
1690891659127.png (18.5 KiB)
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ mrkev commented ·
@MrKev

Strange that your mppt(s) aren't showing production figures.

Might your Cerbo be gagging on the amount of kit hanging off it? If so, you may see other weird things too. Reboot? Does VRM show any strangeness like 'Wait' type messages?

It's unlikely that fw is a direct cause, but the different fw may be exacerbating something else, like cpu load. This is guesswork territory, and doesn't make it into the manuals. Maybe swing a few cables to test..

0 Likes 0 ·
mrkev avatar image mrkev JohnC ♦ commented ·
no apparent unreliability in VRM.

What do yhou mean by 'production figures' - as in generated power? That's because the panels are disconnected in those screenshots.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ mrkev commented ·

all the screenshots show no pv voltage. 0W and 0A... so cannot possibly be charging.

What do you mean it is working...?

Both show 0.00kwh produced...

Update all your firmware to the latest. Even the GX.

0 Likes 0 ·
I now have two more MPPT, Rev 3 running F/W 1.54 and these work too. So the problem units are Rev 2 // V1.61. Of course I am therefore reluctant to upgrade the F/W without a regression method. Does anyone have a link to F/W v1.59 so I can roll back if needed?
0 Likes 0 ·
By working by the way - these are the dumps of the configs on the working MPPT - screenshot was taken with no panels connected.
0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
janlerouxrsa avatar image
janlerouxrsa answered ·
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mrkev avatar image
mrkev answered ·

Ah interesting - I did suspect the F/W... the release note say the voltage detect algorithm changed!

In my case the MPPT is programmed to know it's got 48V batteries too.

2 |3000