question

bencornish avatar image
bencornish asked

Breaker selection in microgrid

Hi Brains trust

I’m a big fan of protection and using rcbo etc on every circuit..

in a microgrid world of a multiplus 2 and a fronius (off grid / mo mains) what is the recommended breaker types for each the fronius and the multiplus 2 ?

microgrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
daza avatar image
daza answered ·

Hi bud depends on what the kW‘s for the actual devices are please specify, 3000, 5000, 8000 multi and what size inverter for solar.

In the UK I have a 100amp RDC A type feeding a 50mcb for a max 50amp input Victron allow for the 5000 PS that RCD only feeds the Victron circuit then i used 63amp MCB on critical load out put all circuits connected to this have RCBO’s, only reason for that is it was the nearest breaker to the 70amps that you can get with the assisted function of the 5000 multi.

Who is designing the system? Post up the devices so others can offer their help too.

PS forgot to mention the most important thing about breaker selection is the size of the cable is a big deciding factor, there are other but one of the biggest limitations is cable size ie from the distro and cable to the main board or sub board

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bencornish avatar image
bencornish answered ·

hi,

Looking at a multiplus 2 5000 va single phase

With a Fronius 5.1 system .. sticking to the 1:1 rule

All downstream circuits will be correctly protected with rcbo’s .. this is straight forward as it’s one direction..

The multiplus has bidirectional flow … ie night time is all outbound … daytime can be a mix of in an out, but mostly in ..

So curious what breaker is recommended for it

And what breaker for the fronius

Do people use echo’s for this ? Or just a mcb ?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic