question

Masquelier Pierre avatar image
Masquelier Pierre asked

proposal addon to documentation about LAN connectivity with VRM.

When I read 5 documents Easy Solar, Mltiplus, Venus OS, Cerbo, CCGX, I synthetis the LAN connectivity issue with VRM like this:
affirmation:
The Venus can use LAN connectivity with VRM only if Venus is connected on internet.

How you connect venus to internet? no document have the clear response.

If we have a hardware ressource, and if we don't have the choice do not use; why the LAN connectivity is documented in product?
the documentation doen't specifie exactly the LAN can be used to connect VRM, but in case of WIFI failure, the LAN is presented like an alternative connectivity. You miss to speak : but only to connect a PC directly to the product. This ommision wastes 1 week of my time.

Please correct the documentation whith additionnal word: LAN can be used but only connect a PC directly to the product or create a FAQ for all limitations of the product.

In what heading can I post this remarq?

Is the issue can be solved in future?
Pierre

documentation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

Are you sure, it does not work?

The ColorControl GX I use currently is connected over LAN/Fiber to a 4G Router because the WIFI foes not work over this distance and I have a clear Internet connection now.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Masquelier Pierre answered ·

Do you test with EasySolar? If the CCGX have an ethernet connection, the VRM connection is possible, but if the Venus in EasySolar don't have a connection to ethernet, the LAN of EasySolar 2GX can't connect to VRM. This is explain in Cerbo documentation but not in venus documentation. Cerbo is the new product than replace Venus...

What is your configuration of your product? with the LAN connected directly with a PC or MAC and with activating the remote console, what is your internet configuration and wifi configuration?
For my configuration, the IP adresse is 192.168.1.31 for the LAN and
192.168.1.128 for the wifi.
The router is alway connected to the wifi, even if the VRM doen't connect.
The window error show that the PC is correctly connected, but the VRM can't connect to the venus via wifi. If the wifi is connected, then I can use the LAN.
vrm.png

If i cut the WIFI, then the VRM doesn't work.
See the new documentation... the do not explain how VENUS is connected to the ethernet. But in the screen shot of the docuemnt

Venus GX Manual (victronenergy.com)

we see the that the product is connected to the wifi. How you interpret the document. At any time, the doc do not explain how you connect VRM on LAN directly. ON other post, some other post, some guys explain that the nanopi can't make that whith the actual version.
If you know the deal, I'm really interested to know how!
Thanks.

1687431316062.png

Comme expliqué, je peux sur le LAN me connecter sur la console, mais dans ce cas VRM n'accède pas au venus.

Thanks for the reading.

vrm.png (4.7 MiB)
1687431316062.png (114.1 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Masquelier Pierre avatar image Masquelier Pierre commented ·

Avez vous essayé de couper le wifi physiquement? pour voir si ça marche toujours!

0 Likes 0 ·

If I test my LAN connectivity on my local LAN

1687445186929.png
All ping on both IP adress work!
But VRM doesn't work if I cut the wifi! Why?

1687445186929.png (41.0 KiB)
2 |3000

jeanmarie avatar image
jeanmarie answered ·

I would say, as 1st diagnostic, that your LAN as some external connectivity issues.

It could be (but this list isn't exhaustive)

- your router is restricting it to access internet

- you have another device with the same IP

2 |3000

Thanks for your response. I think that is your first hypothesis because I had tried a manual ip adress on Lan with the same issue with another free ip adress

I will explore the first one

2 |3000

thomas-red avatar image
thomas-red answered ·

I appreciate your reply. Because I tested a manual IP address on a LAN with the same difficulty using another free IP address, I believe that is your first theory.

I'll talk about the first one.

2 |3000

I see on my router than the FAI had configured m’y router with CGNAT (ipv4 over ipv6) . ( not in full stack). Then I had test the port . All port 80 and 443 are open, but port 81 is probably close, I can’t test on my router easily . (HTTPS close is very strange )

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic