question

aleksejs avatar image
aleksejs asked

Multiplus II under ESS (Cerbo GX) decrease output power.

Can somebody help me with ideas about Invertor's power drop?

After operating at full power 2450W (green), Inverter goes to lower power ~2200W (red).

It happen every day and not depend on sun or battery conditions.

pr1.png

Is it possible due to overheating/ventilation?

Is it possible to write older F/W revisions to MULTIPLUSS II?

Is there available any additional logging to understand why is it happen?

Is the problem hidden in charger?

PS: MPPT250/60 + Lead Battery 250Ah 48V + Multiplus II 3000, greed feed is on.

Multiplus-IIESS
pr1.png (29.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

What is the average temperature and how well is it ventilated?

It is fairly normal for the 3k to derate due to internal temps, in fact I see lower numbers with sustained use down to 1700W in summer.

By adding a forced, temperature based, extractor fan on the inverter outlet we could improve performance a bit.

None of the inverters will sustain max power indefinitely without derating. it is always advised to size above your peak requirements.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

aleksejs avatar image
aleksejs answered ·

In our country temperatures are low now. Inverter is in garage with 14-15 degrees.

I'll try to uncover the case and to put some addition ventilation to check if it will help.

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Probably while it lasts as long as it does.

I Could get it to happen from below 19C, the more the ambient raised the shorter the time it would sustain.

The airflow isn't great through this smaller inverter which is why we position a fan to "pull" air through the unit.

In cooler temps it may actually work better with the cover off but that isn't something for safety or warranty sake I could suggest doing.

0 Likes 0 ·
aleksejs avatar image
aleksejs answered ·

Ok, thank You for suggestion. Uncovering the box solved power drops.

But I don't want inverter to be opened permanently. I prefer to put additional ventilator, and the question is - What to cool inside? Thermal image pointed me to toroidal transformer as the most warm piece of Invertor. As I understood thermal sensor is located inside of it.

Am I right to put some addtitional air to transformer?

flir-20230520t164845.jpg

2 |3000

hominidae avatar image
hominidae answered ·

...have a look at these...although made here for the MP-II-5000, these 3d printed shrouds are a very interesting concept to enhance cooling (and ambient fan noise), I think -> https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/191916/multiplus-ii-5000-fan-noise-fixed-for-me-without-l.html

2 |3000

aleksejs avatar image
aleksejs answered ·

Thank you for information. I think about something same. I will check investor's case I will try to put ventilators at the top of case. I there will be enough of holes for wind. I do not want to drill original case even if I have no warranty (I bought this from other person and do not know is warranty is present at all).

2 |3000