question

chris H avatar image
chris H asked

Inverter Efficency

I had a solar system installed last September with Victron (Inverter,MPPT,CerboGX,Lynx and 2 Leoch Batteries (9.6kWh))

The system appears to be less efficient than I had anticipated

1. For example, for April the VRM recorded:solar generated 381,Consumption 397, and from grid 143. The latter figure seems very high even allowing for some imbalance between supply and demand

2. I calculate the Victron uses between1.5 and 3 kWh per day ; again the seems very high.( is this the amount "lost" in conversion from DC to AC?)

3. There does not appear to be any facility for setting a time schedule for the discharge from the batteries. If you are on a dual tariff this means that the battery will often discharge during the night at the time of low tariff rather than during the day – is any way round this?

You will gather from my questions that I am a layperson and have little technical knowledge – so any help that anyone can give would be gratefully received

ess effizienz
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Michelle Konzack avatar image Michelle Konzack commented ·
I use a MultiPlus-II 24/5000/120-50 and the power consumption without load is just a little bit lesser the 500Wh per day.

As nickdb mentioned, it seems, your system is not correctly configured.

Maybe it charge in the night the batteries from the grid?

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

It sounds like your system isn't configured correctly but you haven't said what models and quantity of PV etc you have.

I suggest you read up on ESS https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ess:start

As ESS does everything you would want including scheduling.

There will always be some grid used and that depends on the setup.

If you pull more than the inverter can produce it will use grid. If you hit battery minima, it will use grid.

VRM will produce charts, if you add them under the advanced tab, that will show you when and how much power you are using and where it is coming from.

The are also some good ESS video tutorials, so first step is to bridge that knowledge gap and you don't have to be a tech expert to learn the basic principles.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

chris H avatar image
chris H answered ·

Thank you for your prompt and helpful answer
I have 10 solar panels on an East facing roof with a capacity of 4.05 kW. I have the potential to put further solar panels on the west facing roof. I live in a Listed Building and I'm limited to use of a garage roof by planning restrictions

Victron 5kva Muliplus2 and Victron MPPT 250/100-TR 5.8kW 2 panels. I was advised by the installers that this would allow for future expansion – I hope this is correct

I will study the links you kindly sent is anything else you can help with I would be very grateful

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic