question

jeepster avatar image
jeepster asked

multiplus 2 GX & Pylontech battery + multiple mppt

hi all, looking to move to a 48v battery and multiplus inverter, if i go for the multiplus 48/3000 gx, and pylontech battery will i be able to use multiple victron mppt, only have 2.5kw of solar, but mostly facing south east, however due to the movement of the sun we have 3 mppt controllers, will this setup still work with the multiplus 2 GX & Pylontech battery, or should i go for a multiplus 2 non gx model - thanks

Pylontech
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

The GX model only has one VE.Direct port allowing one MPPT. VE.Direct to USB dongles can provide the additional connections via an expansion USB hub. Worth reading up on this as the hubs can prove to be problematic sometimes and typically has to be powered versions. VE.Can MPPTs won't be an option on the GX model, so also something to take into account. The Cerbo will allow 3 x VE.Direct MPPTs connections as well as offer the VE.Can option and many other features if you were ever to explore them. Either will work regardless.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jeepster avatar image
jeepster answered ·

Hi, thanks for the info , i prefer seperate products incase one fails, i am looking at the multiplus 48/3000, and the pylontech up5000, currently i have 4*400w perlight panels these are the panel specs below, and 3*215 victrons, on 3 seperate victron 100/50 mppt and a pheonix smart 24/3000 inverter. can i use th emultiplus off grid?

The 400s are south east facing so can get at least 5hrs of sun here in derbyshire uk, also the 3*215 victrons are south facing and can pickup pv from 13.00 to 1800 even on a spring day like today, so long as we get some sun. Even in spring my pv is enough to power my (off grid ) home office and tv etc, also occasional use of kettle toasters and air fryers microwave etc and if weve had a reasonable day if possible i can charge my delta 2 and extra battery. The problem i have is that I get so much solar input the mppts stop charging at about 13.00 and i cant expand my 2s2p battery bank.

So i either run 2 systems, one for the small loads and one for the larger loads or i get a bigger battery bank. my batteries are life lifep04, i have 2 spares so a second smaller inverter that might be an option.

i have a south facing garden but the roof is east / west facing so ive got the panels on my summer house.

i assume i wont have an issue charging the 4.8kw battery apart from in darkest winter

what do you think

perlight 400 delta

Peak power

400W

Vmpp

41V

Voc

49.5V

Impp

9.76A

Isc

10.12A

2 |3000