question

dcpablo avatar image
dcpablo asked

How the internal temperature compensation feature works on my mppt bluesolar?

"The charger uses its internal temperature for battery temperature compensation when the charger has been idle for at least one hour, i.e. when the charger is not actively charging a battery or supplying a load".

If the charge controller does the reading when it is no charging, i.e. at night, how can it choose the appropiate value if the next process will be maybe the next day and at a different/s temperature/s (along the day)
How does this works?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

The MPPT is measuring its own ambient when its not working yet. (As charging leads to a raise in internal temperature which would make the reading useless). The best is that the battery and MPPT charge controller are in the same room of course for this. The temperature/compensation is then fixed for the whole charge period. More optimal of course is to have a smart battery sense on the MPPT which monitors the battery temperature all day.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Martijn Coster (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Martijn Coster (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hello DCPablo,

Without the external voltage and temperature sensor
https://www.victronenergy.com/accessories/smart-battery-sense

It use the last known temperature in rest which is close to the ambient.
If it would use the temperature when charging with a current the temperature will be to high.

To solve this install the external sensor.

best regards
Martijn Coster - Victron Energy

2 |3000

dcpablo avatar image
dcpablo answered ·

Thanks!

Unfortunately the charge controller integrated on the Easy Solar where i´m working comes with a Blue Solar charger not a Smart Solar one... I´ll try to add a BMV-702 to improve this process.

Warm regards to you both,

Pablo.-

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic