question

olivierkolly avatar image
olivierkolly asked

Plug and play solar kit on an Off-Grid setup

I have an "off-grid" system with solar panels, a charge controller, a Victron Quattro 48 inverter and a BYD battery.

The solar panels are on the roof and impossible to access. The snow in winter reduces my production.

I have a plug and play kit (2 panels + micro-inverter, 600W max) that I do not use.

Can I connect the "plug and play network" kit to my "Off-grid" installation on a standard 230v socket?

Does it work ?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Pat Davitt avatar image
Pat Davitt answered ·

Normally it is a very bad idea to connect two (or more) AC sources to the same AC system.
The exception is when the sources are synchronized before being brought on-line. This is what
power companies and commercial facilities do when they bring generators on-line.

Two un-synchronized AC sources can cause nasty things to happen, short circuits, equipment damage, and others.

There are five conditions that must be met before the synchronization process takes place.
The source (generator or sub-network) must have equal line voltage, frequency, phase sequence, phase angle, and waveform to that of the system to which it is being synchronized.

In short don't do it.

Pat

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

olivierkolly avatar image
olivierkolly answered ·

Thanks Pat for your quick reply. I understand.

In my case i'm using a microinverter Enphase --> https://enphase.com/en-us/products-and-services/microinverters. The system should check the frequency, voltage before generating electricity

This system works well on the "normal grid". I was thinking about the same on my "off-grid" Victron system.

Bad idea ?

2 |3000

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I have an Enphase M215 on the AC-OUT1 of my MultiPlus, it works well even when grid fails.
If you want to be able to measure the output of the Enphase inverters to be seen by the CCGX, then use a ET112 energy meter. I have not figured out how to get data directly out of the Envoy.

Enphase micro inverters are all individual inverters and are each responsible for synchronising to the grid on their own.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic