karlheinzhaller avatar image
karlheinzhaller asked

CCGX Internet with Android Phone Hot Spot

We have installed an Off Grid System with the following components

CCGX

Multiplus 5000

MPPT 150/35

Fronius Primo 4.0-1

at a remote cabin. The cabin does not have permanent Internet connection. The client spends only weekends there and can use his Android Smart phone as a Hot Spot to get the Internet connection. That would also allow us to register the system on VRM and we could log in on the weekends to check the system.

We would like to connect the Fronius to the CCGX to make it visible.

At the moment the Fronius is connected to the CCGX via an Ethernet patch cable. The Fronius Datamanager is configured with a fixed IP address 169.254.082.243 and the CCGX is configured with a fixed IP address 169.254.082.242. With this configuration the Primo is visible in the CCGX.

We purchased the Victron approved WiFi NANo and Gembird High Power adapters. We would like to use one of them as the WiFi access point for the CCGX and connect it to the Android phone in Hot Spot mode to get the Internet to the CCGX.

We also like to leave the Primo connected to the CCGX as mentioned above.

Is there an Internet pass through from the USB port to the RJ45 Internet port when a WiFi USB adapter is used?

Would you be able to confirm if that would work and if not what measures need to be taken to make it work.

CCGX Color Control
img-2241.jpg (3.8 MiB)
img-2237.jpg (4.1 MiB)
img-2236.jpg (3.8 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi karl. I don't have your ultimate answer, just because I just don't know all of that kit.

What worries me is that you mention 'fixed' 169.254.x.x addresses. In practice that's one you don't want to see, so you wouldn't want it 'fixed'. https://askleo.com/why_cant_i_connect_with_a_169254xx_ip_address/

The VRM portal is where you want your phone connected to - signed in, password, etc. (seems to be needed daily). As a wifi hotspot it should find the CCGX dongle and allocate it an address. Which won't be 169..., but commonly 192.168.x.x

The CCGX will then upload it's accumulated data to the portal. Remote access by signing into the portal with the same password etc.

My browser says the portal server is in Germany, so where I am on the other side of the world it can take a few minutes. The fully-functional remote console is sluggish too, but that's just the tyranny of distance..

Fronius > CCGX I'm not familiar with, but Victron have it documented somewhere.

Good luck..

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

karlheinzhaller avatar image
karlheinzhaller answered ·

John, thanks for the feedback.

2 |3000

rallyhagge avatar image
rallyhagge answered ·

Acquire a router that support "station mode" which means that it can connect to a WiFi for internet access. Connect it to the WiFi mobile hotspot in station mode and connect the CCGX and other pheripals through the (often four) LAN-ports of the router. The router will provide the the wired CCGX and Primo with dynamic IP addresses and deliver internet access whenever the mobile hotspot is available.

2 |3000

rallyhagge avatar image
rallyhagge answered ·

Most serviceproviders provides extra data SIM cards for next to nothing. (At least here in Sweden). That, and a LTE router, would be the simplest and most reliable configuration IMO.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic