question

Jason avatar image
Jason asked

SmartSolar + Alternator + Lithionics w/BMS

Hello, I have a SmartSolar 75/15 hooked up to two 100w 20v panels, the stock alternator on my rig hooked up to an Orion 12v/12v DC charger (30A) and a pair of Lithionics w/on-board BMS. It seems like the SmartSolar occasionally 'thinks' that the battteries are charged and goes into float, even when I am well below 80% SOC. I believe this is because the SmartSolar is 'reading' the output voltage of the 12v dc charger rather than the true voltage of the batteries... What is the proscribed way to sovle for this condition? I'm wondering if I could remotely control the SmartSolar charger via an Arduino which could remotely read the SOC from the batteries via BLE (I already have the arduino reading the SOC) I just don't know if it is possible (and how) to tell the SmartSolar what voltages to use at various SOC's.

Thanks!

solar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Assuming the batteries have absorption/float ranges, set the MPPT at the top end of the range and the Orion a little lower, staying in the maker's ranges.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic