question

nickjenkey avatar image
nickjenkey asked

MPPT drawing current but not giving any output power with intermittant fault code #28

Before I bother the supplier for a warranty replacement I thought I should see if anyone has any ideas why my newly installed 150/45 smart solar MPPT is not performing as it should.

The PV array is 2 strings of 3 REC Twin Peak 4 modules in series, Voc of around 120v MPPT voltage of 105V, the Isc for each string has been measured under strong sun at 10.5A.

The MPPT output fluctuates wildly and falls to zero and compared to the output of the AC coupled array mounted next to it is giving very little power output. The AC array is 8.6kW so I would expect around 25% of the output power of the new DC coupled array at any given time but rarely see more than 10%.

I have checked all the connections and tested the array at the end of the cables feeding the MPPT, the Isc and Voc are as expected for the insolation.

Measuring the current using a clamp meter going into the MPPT I can see it drawing a current of around 1.5 amps (Insolation of around 200w/m2) but not indicating any power output at all on the GX or connect app, 1.5 amps being the approximate Isc measured under the light conditions at time of test.

Twice, on seperate days, the MPPT has flagged up a #28 fault code on the GX system which can be cleared by isolating the unit and re-connecting it but the output power remains very low as above.

MPPT is connected to the battery with 16mm2 cables around 1.5 long, PV cabling is a 4 core 6mm2 SWA cable (2 cores per string) connected in parallel at the DC isolator, Cable run is 12m.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful otherwise I will return the unit as a warranty claim.

Thanks,

Nick

VRM power graphs.pngdashboard 1.png

MPPT SmartSolar
dashboard-1.png (44.0 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Your not using optimizers?
0 Likes 0 ·
nickjenkey avatar image nickjenkey klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Not using optimisers, its a brand new array wired as 3 modules in series, 2 strings in parallel bought to match the MPPT unit (sizing done with Victron MPPT tool)
0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

Mppt error codes. Contact your supplier regarding warranty replacement.

Err 28 - Power stage issue

This error will not auto-reset.

Disconnect all wires, and then reconnect all wires. If the error persists the charge controller is probably faulty.

Note that this error was introduced in v1.36. So when doing an update, it might look like the firmware update caused this issue; but it doesn't. The Solar charger was then already not performing 100% before the update; updating to v1.36 or later merely made the issue more visible. The unit needs to be replaced.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickjenkey avatar image nickjenkey commented ·

Thanks, I assumed it would be a warranty replacement, as the #28 fault has occurred 3 times now and has been reset as described. The output remains persistently low.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickjenkey avatar image
nickjenkey answered ·

As an update for those interested, here is a short video of the unit which seems to read the current at around 10% of the actual value. Both multimeters have been calibrated/checked

The same can be seen in the battery current

Connect app reports no power or current but battery is charging at around 150-200 Watts.

Unit is being sent back for warranty claim.

hope this is of interest.

Nick

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic