question

wandering-parakeet avatar image
wandering-parakeet asked

Any way to limit output current on the Orion?

I know that this question has been asked before, but I'm hoping that Victron may have an answer given that it has been asked for at least two years.

I have Orion-Tr Smart 12/12 18A isolated charger. Despite the fact that I have recently replaced my 7-way connector on my tow vehicle, and upgraded the wiring on my short trailer to 8AWG, I am limited by the 10AWG OEM wiring in my tow vehicle. Whenever I connect my lithium batteries, the Orion consumes around 25A in order to produce 13.6V at 19.6A.This large current causes the voltage at the input to the Orion to drop to 12.1V, which is well below the default engine shutdown voltage of 13.1V. I believe that much of the voltage drop is in the truck's 10AWG wiring, and/or the 7-way connector (even though the connector is new). In order to get something to work in what does not seem to be a very demanding scenario, I have to disable the engine shutdown feature or decrease the shutdown voltage threshold. I also have to worry about blowing my 30A fuse.

It seems strange that the Orion consumes so much current that it causes a big enough voltage drop to shut itself off. It would be great to have a feature (such as in the Renogy DCDC converter) that allows one to configure the charger to provide only half of the nominal current output. This would result in a lower voltage drop which would not trigger the engine shutdown feature. Sure, the charger is only charging at half the rate... but at least it is on!

If the answer is to bypass the OEM circuitry with heavier gauge wire, Anderson connectors, and auxilliary fuses, then you should mention this in your marketing material. Why design something that can't be used by tow vehicles with OEM equipment?

orion-tr smart
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dc4me avatar image dc4me commented ·
I have this same product. When adding aftermarket upgrades, very often there is a need to upgrade OEM circuitry. Reading or researching the product info and "having knowledge" of electrical wiring ampacity and voltage drop one might opt to bypass OEM as the first measure. Bypass and be done with it. Much easier way.
0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

The output current of the Orions isn't adjustable. They work on voltage.

The v oltage drop is too high for the wire gauge/current.

Suggest you check carefully for high resistance in the circuits. Bad joints/connectors or fuses.

It might be easier and quicker to run new cabling as suggested by @DC4me

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wandering-parakeet avatar image
wandering-parakeet answered ·

I've done the math (quadratic equation, actually) and it seems that what I'm seeing is not far off from what I've calculated... so I don't think that there are bad joints/connectors or fuses. Any recommendations for connectors to the tow vehicle? I'm considering Anderson connectors at the moment.

2 |3000