question

michaeltenerife avatar image
michaeltenerife asked

Pylontech battery life in a Victron system

Hi everyone,

This question is more pylontech related but as my whole system is victron, I still believe it is relevant here.

Here a day history of my system, where my battery usage is really low at night and my solar is really strong and battery get recharged really fast.

screenshot-from-2022-05-05-23-04-44.png

I only reach 25% discharge during the night, so 1/4th battery cycle. My guess is that the battery will age really slowly like this, or it doesn't make a difference if I reach 50% discharge per night?

I know the MPPT is regulating the charge but with half or my solar panels I will still reach 100% charge every day, are the battery ageing fasting if I got such a strong input everyday and so little discharge?

Thank you

Pylontech
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Manda avatar image Manda commented ·

19 months quite intensive use, and I read 96% as "battery health" whith VictronConnect (2*Pylontech US2000). Every morning, SOC drops to 25-40% (very few loads during the night), but usually back to ca 100% at 2-3 p.m. (meanwhile, I use pretty large loads as oven, boiler, water heater, water pump…). I expect around 4-5years battery life, but WAIT'N SEE…

What about yours?

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Michaeltenerife

Since the Pylontec controls the charge they are taking care of themsleves

You should get the full life expected from the batteries. That is what Pylontec says they can do. But don't forget batteries age from both cycle and calendar ageing.50% DOD is also fine read the warranty and manual. There is a cycle and life projection in there.

If you have sized your bank according to recommendations you should be ok barring defects.

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

michaeltenerife avatar image michaeltenerife commented ·

hi, thank you. I read pylontech manual but no sign of cycle and life projection in there.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ michaeltenerife commented ·

@Michaeltenerife

In the technical specifications it is page 4 of 23 in the US3000 manual 6000 cycles @25°C.(i dont know what model you have). The State Of Health is reported to the GX.

On the systems we have in the field they are still at 100% even after two years. And we have alot of grid outages here so they are cylced quute a bit and often down to 10% SOC.

With a correctly sized and installed battery bank you should have no worries.

0 Likes 0 ·
Manda avatar image Manda Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Could you please read the "battery state of health" of your batteries on VictronConnect? My 2*US 2000 have 96% after 19months use. I am also wondering how long they will last…

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ Manda commented ·
The 2000's are sized for 25A cont discharge each, so you have 50A or around 2500W to play with. Anything beyond that will be pushing their abilities and will affect their lifespan.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
@Manda

I have 4x US3000s on an easy solar 5kva. Been installed 3 years now. Regularly see power outages for days. Cycled to cut off a few times. SOH 100%.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
It will also be affected by temperature. Batteries have a state of health metric they report which helps track this.
0 Likes 0 ·
ponzoa avatar image
ponzoa answered ·

After one year of extensive use of my 9 x US3000C on my ESS, and down to 10 or 15% every day during winter and my Multiplus II 48/10000 drawing heavy loads (ocasionally above 10kW), they are at 99% health.

I've divided the 9 batteries in sets of 3 with their cables going back to a fused bus bar to ensure no cable is overloaded. All cables exact same characteristics and length.

Winter temp is on average 20ºC and the rest of the year, between 28ºC and 31ºC.

I expect a good 15 years at least out of them.

2 |3000