question

nickdb avatar image
nickdb asked

ESS battery charge rate from grid

Something I have noticed for some time, is that if you choose "keep charged" as your ESS mode, a multi will not use available inverter/charger capacity to charge from grid. It seems to throttle the charge rate and well below the inverter's abilities.

It ignores any and all settings from the multi or BMS, and isn't affected by battery chemistry.

The BMS is not limiting and when PV is introduced charging increases significantly.

There are use cases where you really want it to charge as quickly as it can, or at least faster (BMS permitting) within hardware limits.

Is there a way to override this behaviour?

Edit:

Case in point. Charge level starts high and then tails off down to around 29A, this on a 5kVA 48V Multi2. Nominal AC loads and the lithium batteries are waiting for more. Temp at a comfy, and standard, 26C.

screenshot-2022-04-05-at-175703.png

Multiplus-IIESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
gjones84 avatar image
gjones84 answered ·

Afternoon,

Tbh there a few quirks in the software. If you want ultimate control I recommend setting you ESS to external control/ mode 3 and writing your own control loop in node red.

Thats what I ended up doing.

Cheers

Gareth

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.