question

bargeman avatar image
bargeman asked

New panels with old?

I have two Siemens panels from 2005-ish (they came with the barge) connected to a 24v system thru a BlueSolar MPPT 75/15. I would like to increase our solar charging capabilities. Will adding new panels to the existing system cause problems?

MPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
nobodyspecial avatar image
nobodyspecial answered ·

"it depends" I suggest that you supply more information to get the best answer. Data such as the current wiring configuration (series or parallel) volts, amps and wattages of the current and the proposed panels. In the meantime consider that your current charge controller can only put out ~360watts of solar (24 volts x 15 amps) but more solar than that will not damage it as long as you don't series the modules past 75v.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

marekp avatar image
marekp answered ·

I do not think you will find today panels that would work with your 16 year old ones.

I had a problem finding panel to ad to my year old installation. :)

I would suggest to add new panels with its own new MPPT controller.

2 |3000

shaneyake avatar image
shaneyake answered ·

You can add new panels on a separate MPPT without any problems as long as you don't exceed the charge current for your battery.

2 |3000