question

repro avatar image
repro asked

Quattro 48/5000/70 120v for Self Consumption

Hello all, it has been a long wait, but I finally took delivery on my Quattro 48/5000/70 120v. Long long wait for delivery. I have a small 2000W array and want to set up my Quattro for an off-grid configuration. I do have a 40A dedicated line (grid) connected to it, however I want to set it up to do the following:

1. Priority is to charge the batteries first per solar (PV)

2. Any excess PV power will power the loads (less than 1000W at peak).

3. After batteries are charged (in float), all PV power goes to the loads.

4. If PV cannot keep up (lack of sun for example), and my batteries fall to 48V SOC, grid power charges the batteries and powers the loads. Once the batteries are charged, go back to self-consumption mode and disconnect from the grid.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of set up? If so, could you give me some direction? I will start installing my system tomorrow, and will not be ready to put it into operation for about a week. I am slow. Thanks in advance.

ESS
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

repro avatar image repro commented ·
I forgot to mention that I have the MK3-USB adapter, and I already have VE Config Tools installed on my laptop. I have 3 VE SCC's and am comfortable with the VE software. I have been messing aroung with the "Dummy" set up for a Quattro for a couple of months now.
0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
Rob Fijn avatar image
Rob Fijn answered ·

Hello @Repro , what you want is an ESS configuration. And this will do better then you describe above, as this will use the grid to power the loads (when there is not enough sun or battery energy) and then when the sun comes again this will be used to power the loads and charge the battery. With other words, the sun is the first priority, then the battery and then the grid.

This works perfectly. I just finished one installation with the same Quattro, but then 3 configured in 3-fase.

But to do this you do need a venus device.

If you do not have this, then the virtual switch is what you need to use. But then there is not as much control as with an ESS system.

Check this link: https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Energy_Storage_System/en/index-en.html

Hope this helps to get you started.

Regards, Rob

7 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Thank you for your help. Let me quickly give you a run down of my equipment:

VE SCC 150/70 Blue Solar

2000W solar array

Quattro 48/5000/70 120V

3x 48V 100Ah LiFePO4 batteries

VE MK3-USB

VE Cerbo GX

VE 500A SmartShunt

VE Smart Battery Sense Long Range

Everything listed above has been in operation for months with a 3000W inverter from Giandel. I decided to get a Quattro 5000 as it totally fulfills my needs. I have run a dedicated 40A line to where the Quattro is going to be installed.

I am studying the link on ESS that you posted. Since I have the Cerbo GX and a MK3-USB adapter, I will be able to avoid using the "Virtual Switch". I have lots of reading to do. I will post again on my efforts.

Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob, I live in the US, and the "Country Code" is an issue with ESS. I will not, and cannot feed back to the grid. What "Country Code" would I use with ESS and no grid feedback?
0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Fijn avatar image Rob Fijn repro commented ·
Hi Repro, the country code does not affect this. It is a setting in the ESS menu on the Cerbo where you can select DC solar feedback ON or OFF.

The set point of 50 Watt should be good enough to not feedback.

With the equipment you listed you can do this. It does require some programming, but you can find all of this on the Victron web-site. At first keep it a default as possible, run the system and understand what it is doing and then tweak is needed.

Read also about the Disconnect Relay. There is one in the Quattro which works very good, but some grid operators require a second relay for additional safety of the utility workers. There are grid disconnect on the market you can buy.

regards, Rob

0 Likes 0 ·
repro avatar image repro Rob Fijn commented ·

Hi Rob, I cannot load the ESS assistant without a country code.

ess.jpg

Any ideas?

0 Likes 0 ·
ess.jpg (67.9 KiB)
Rob Fijn avatar image Rob Fijn repro commented ·
Hi Repro, I select 'other' as grid code.

Rob

0 Likes 0 ·
repro avatar image repro Rob Fijn commented ·
I just needed a verification on the selection of other. I feel fairly confident on getting the rest set up. I will chime in again if I need anymore help. Thanks!
0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ repro commented ·

Ask a local electrician maybe you need an external anti-islanding relay.

0 Likes 0 ·
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

I Think the easiest way to achieve what you want is to use ve configure, and set the virtual switch to ignore ac in. Did you get a Mk2/3 USB adapter with your inverter? (Or can you connect via bluetooth wiht the victron connect app? Unfortunately I don't think the virtual switch can be set any other way. If you can connect, I'll be happy to give the details.

1 comment
2 |3000

I do have the MK3-USB adapter, a Cerbo GX and already have the VE Config Tools installed on my laptop. I can avoid using the "Virtual Switch". I am reconfiguring and re-wiring the space where the Quattro will be installed. Once I have it in and can power it up, I will get in touch. Thank you very much.
0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Repro

What you're after is just the same as an offgridder would use to start a generator.

Look to using the Quattro's 'Generator start and stop' Assistant, but instead of switching a genset, switch the ACIN(1or2) relay.

Priority for solar is easily managed with charge V setpoints.

I wouldn't even be mentioning to your grid supplier you have the option of feeding back with ESS, let alone using it.

Assistants can't be used with VS, but are much more comprehensive.

2 |3000

repro avatar image
repro answered ·

See my comment above to Rob Fijn. ESS cannot be loaded without a "Country Code". I live in the US and there is no "Country Code".

2 |3000