question

michelg avatar image
michelg asked

SmartSolar 150/100 stopping charge too early.

Hi everyone ! I have a silly question but unsure of how to fix it. My setup is 24V 1000Ah OPsZ 12x 2V battery bank. The solar array can provide over 3kWp to the mppt, but when I use more than 100Ah the mppt absorption phase is too short for recharging the battery bank.

Is there any trick or option to increase automatically the absorption time ?

Last year I did a try manually extending the absorption fixed time, but it was too much time and the batteries did not liked it at all.

Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks, Michel

MPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alan Star avatar image
Alan Star answered ·

I had a problem with a few smartsolar 150/100's where they would not do full absorption and float, they would do a morning charge cycle but once reaching absorption they would just stop charging and pretty much nothing I did would convince them to continue charging for the day, they usually would not start charging again until the next morning, I disconnected, reconnected etc, everything. I now have a 150/85 which is working flawlessly ... there must have been a problem with those units because I tried everything, the 150/85 is working no problem at all, charging all day perfectly. Not sure if it's the same issue but you may like to try a different model and see, I went thru 3x 150/100's, all the same issue, I thought the problem was somewhere at my end but it wasn't.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

michelg avatar image
michelg answered ·

Hi Alan, the absorption is done through the cycle, as it can be seen in the picture. It is just that the absorption phase is too short over 100Ah consummed. Currently I am going through some manual equalization hours.

1625760668187.png

1625760668187.png (142.5 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Got a chart with battery voltage and current?
0 Likes 0 ·
michelg avatar image
michelg answered ·

I did some changes in my setup, going into Expert Mode, putting 6h of Absorption, and switching off the tail check. Such configuration will only be used during the period where I my consumption is around 250Ah/night. If the consumption is lower, I'll switch back to normal mode.

Curiously the Expert Mode remains "switched off" on the VictronConnect Android App, even if the parameters have been accepted.

2 |3000