question

booya avatar image
booya asked

MPPT 75/15 Solar panel tension is 25 V - PV tension on Smart Solar device says only 0,8V

First install!
My Smart Solar MPPT 75/15 is not loading my LiFeP04 battery. I have a 190W solar panel and the readings directly taken from the wire endings said ~25 V. But when I connect the cables into the Victron MPPT device (I checked polarity) did nothing happend and the battery didn't load. Battery tension was at 13,4v
Tension from the Solar on the app said 0 V and 0 W.
Measuring it with a mulimeter on the screws gave me 0,8V.
I have installed the latest firmware.

MPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

It would seem that you have connected your PV array in reverse polarity to your mppt.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Or you have clamped on the insulation of the pv cables in the screw terminals.
0 Likes 0 ·
booya avatar image
booya answered ·

I will recheck the polarity through the whole chain.
Could the issue also be related to the point that I have placed the MPPT horizontal instead vertically?

1 comment
2 |3000

@Booya

Yeah heat can be an issue. The 75/15 has no fins on the back so not so much of an issue i can see for the orientation being a problem.

Ours works hard and in a warm environment so we did mount it on a heat sync block to help.

0 Likes 0 ·
cumafo avatar image
cumafo answered ·

I have the same problem, except that it worked for a while, but suddenly this status.

Battery 12.3V and solar 19V, and I'm certain about the connections.

Shouldn't the MPPT show correct solar voltage if not loading?

4 comments
2 |3000

@cumafo

Your array needs to be 5v above battery voltage to begin charging.

Yours is not quite there.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/drafts:mppt_faq#q6the_solar_charger_is_not_working

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EVAvRs32TiE

0 Likes 0 ·
cumafo avatar image cumafo Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Hi Alexandra,

19-12.3=6.7 so well above the 5V limit.

And why is the MMPT not showing the current array voltage?

Does the MPPT loads the array even if it is not charging?

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ cumafo commented ·
Unsure what you mean by "loads".

Post a screenshot plz.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
@cumafo

Is it 19v not connected to the mppt measured with a meter? or 19v measured by the mppt itself?

In any case the battery will most likely charge up to over 13v so the voltage is not good enough.

0 Likes 0 ·