question

john-smith avatar image
john-smith asked

Use two controllers with different panels.

I currently have four panels 2s2p and one 48v controller. I’m going to buy four more panels and another controller. Does it matter than the four new panels are not the exact same wattage as the other set of panels?

Can both 48v controllers connect to the same battery bank? Do the controllers need to communicate with each other somehow?

MPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·
I’m going to buy four more panels and another controller. Does it matter than the four new panels are not the exact same wattage as the other set of panels?

No, since they will be used with another charger. But make sure that the new panels are a good match for the new solar charger (don't get over the allowed array voltage).

Can both 48v controllers connect to the same battery bank?

Yes.

Do the controllers need to communicate with each other somehow?

At minimum, use the same settings on both solar chargers.

If those chargers are both SmartSolar (with built-in Bluetooth), you can synchronize them using VE. Smart Networking (at no extra cost).

Then you could add a SmartShunt or a BMV-712 Smart.

For larger systems you can also add a Cerbo GX, which will get you the most options and extra functionality.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.